Shooting on a white background.....

Photography knowledge exchange.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Scott Waters
Site Admin

Shooting on a white background.....

Post by Scott Waters » January 9th, 2015, 11:57 am

It’s getting more and more popular. Those shots you see with the animal isolated on a completely white background. What are they? And how do you start taking them? Read more from Scott Trageser of NatureStills.....

"Meet Your Neighbors (On the Cheap)"
http://www.herpnation.com/hn-blog/scott ... the-cheap/

MonarchzMan

Re: Shooting on a white background.....

Post by MonarchzMan » January 17th, 2015, 12:33 pm

I think they have their uses. I've been involved with MYN for a while now. For one, for herps, it's easy to lose the subject in the photo depending on how busy the background is. In some cases, this can be nice because it gives a realistic interpretation of the animal in the wild. But I've seen it done poorly so many times. Since, with the MYN shots, the focus is on the animal (or plant) and only the animal, you can appreciate the finer details easier than you could in an in situ type of shot. I also like using them for composite shots. I think many of us try to take photos of herps to be diagnostic. To highlight particular morphological features that help identify one species from another. This isn't easily done in one photo for many herps. Composite photos can give a variety of views that help diagnose the animal (and it would look far cleaner than, say, doing a composite of in situ shots).

I keep it pretty simple as far as my set up. I made a CPVC table that collapses down and fits in my backpack and then have a 12" x 12" piece of white acrylic I put the animal on, then I set up a remote flash under the table to backlight it, and use (generally) a twin flash for the front lighting. It takes a little tweaking to get the exposure right, but often does take some editing.