high speed video showing how a DSLR shutter works

Photography knowledge exchange.

Moderator: Scott Waters

chrish

high speed video showing how a DSLR shutter works

Post by chrish »

I don't know how many of you saw this linked on dpreview, but there is a pretty cool high speed video on youtube showing you how a shutter curtain works.
If you have never seen how a camera can achieve shutter speeds of 1/4000th of a second or higher, it is pretty neat to watch!

Kevin Price

Re: high speed video showing how a DSLR shutter works

Post by Kevin Price »

Very interesting. I hadn't seen this on dpreview, thanks for posting it. Seeing how hard the mirror strikes, both going up and then returning back into position, really dramatizes how 'mirror slap' works, as well as the importance of mirror lockup for shooting the sharpest images you can on a tripod. Seeing how the shutter works, not by going any faster or slower, but by the amount of opening available at a given shutter speed, was new to me. I've known about the rolling shutter, but seeing it in action made it much more understandable.
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

Cool video. The "rolling shutter" effect is infamous for playing havoc with aviation-related imagery, both still (not my pic):

And video: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news ... on-2983200
chrish

Post by chrish »

Kevin Price wrote:Very interesting. I hadn't seen this on dpreview, thanks for posting it. Seeing how hard the mirror strikes, both going up and then returning back into position, really dramatizes how 'mirror slap' works, as well as the importance of mirror lockup for shooting the sharpest images you can on a tripod. Seeing how the shutter works, not by going any faster or slower, but by the amount of opening available at a given shutter speed, was new to me. I've known about the rolling shutter, but seeing it in action made it much more understandable.
That's one of things that makes Sony's SLT cameras so great. They are DSLR type cameras but the mirror doesn't move during photos so there is no mirror flop.

Chris - I hadn't heard of that problem with shutter in aviation photography. There are some amazing photos online showing this. I just searched google images for rolling shutter aviation photography. Some of them are pretty cool. I particularly like what happens to helicopter rotors!
Noah M

Post by Noah M »

One of the reasons I love my Canon G12. One of the last CCD sensor cameras before everything went to CMOS so I don't get some of the issues and problems. It only shoots 720p, but each video frame is a one shot in time whole picture.