Carrying small amount of gear over rough terrain

Photography knowledge exchange.

Moderator: Scott Waters

bgorum

Carrying small amount of gear over rough terrain

Post by bgorum »

Hello fellow herp photographers. I just spent the day yesterday exploring an area looking for new dens and came to the realization that I need a compact, light weight camera outfit for doing this. My plan is to carry only a camera body, 24-85 vr, and 70-300 vr. I need both hands free, since I'll often be climbing over rocks on steep slopes and just generally negotiating difficult terrain. I'm hoping to survey this forum's collective wisdom for suggestion on how to carry the gear. My first thought was an F-stop Guru, since I own and love a Loka already and I find the internal frame makes the bag much more comfortable to carry all day compared to Lowepro and Tamrack backpacks I've owned in the past. However, looking over the pictures on F-stop's sight it appears that the Guru might actually be larger than needed. What would you all suggest and why?

Thanks,
Bill
chrish

Re: Carrying small amount of gear over rough terrain

Post by chrish »

I actually prefer to carry one or two items like that in a photographer's/fisherman's vest. It is easier and more accessible. Plus, all the extra pockets let you carry other stuff easily as well (water, flashlight, notebook, extra camera battery, etc). If the terrain is going to be rough I sometimes put foam pads around my lenses in my vest pockets.
Stohlgren

Post by Stohlgren »

The F-stop Kenti looks like it might be more suitable to your needs:

I often carry my Loka with just minimal gear loaded when I am searching for timber dens and have never had a problem. But I do like the looks of the Kenti (just not in that obnoxious blue).
bgorum

Post by bgorum »

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm leaning against the idea of a vest, just because I worry about the safety of the equipment. I had a Tamrac vest at one time and I remember it being pretty poorly padded. (I do end up biffing it at least one per year). The f-stop Kenti looks nice, but I still think its a little over sized. I really want a pretty minimalist kit. What do people here think about sling packs or waist packs? Are they comfortable to carry all day? Any pros or cons?
chrish

Post by chrish »

bgorum wrote:What do people here think about sling packs or waist packs? Are they comfortable to carry all day? Any pros or cons?
I have both and have used them both.

Waist packs are ok, but I find I get tired of wearing them. They also seem to get in the way in the field more often. They do have the benefit that you can get small padded lens cases to add on to them. A small backpack is generally more comfortable over a long period, IMHO.

Sling packs are really great,... as long as you stay upright. If you bend over,.....let's say if you are...oh,......I don't know.....herping ;) ...they tend to swing around in front of you and get in your way. I almost never use mine any more for that very reason.

Tamrac and Lowepro (and others) make some nice small backpacks now that are pretty good for a couple of pieces of camera gear.

And as for the extra protection of a backpack over a vest, I've only broken one piece of camera gear by falling in the field. I broke a flash that was in a padded backpack when I stepped backwards after flipping a rock and flipped over a$$ over tea kettle over a large rock right behind my calves and came down hard on my backpack. Fortunately, I only broke the flash not my lenses....or skull.

Of course, that is the only time I have fallen and broken gear in a pack. I have fallen many times in the field. If you haven't, you haven't herped long enough!
Stohlgren

Post by Stohlgren »

Man, you really are looking for something small. While I have never used a sling or waist pack, I don't think I'd really like them for climbing through rugged terrain. I'd rather have a backpack style that would feel secure against my back. But you may not feel that is an issue.

F-stop does have a sling pack (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbcLTD7UD9w) but it's ugly and doesn't look much smaller than the Kenti. I also think the pack would swing around a lot when you are moving about. Lowpro has a few sling bags that have a strap that goes under the arm to help keep it in place. This is their smallest. Not sure how big the 70-300 is and if it would fit in this pack, though.

Maybe a harness system would suit your needs? Here's lowpro's harness, I think you would need to buy the belt part separately: http://store.lowepro.com/s-f-technical-harness
They have a vest style, too: http://store.lowepro.com/s-f-technical-vest
Think Tank has a harness system, as well. (f-stop has one, but I can't find it anywhere)

You could attach whatever packs you need to hold your gear. A number of companies sell packs of various shapes and sizes and would give more protection than a vest.
http://shop.fstopgear.com/us/products/dakota.html
http://store.lowepro.com/lens-cases

You could attach a case like the f-stop Navin to your chest or lower back and have another lens case on you waist.
http://dancarrphotography.com/blog/2011 ... ts/m6007l/
chrish

Post by chrish »

If you are considering a harness type system, don't overlook the Cotton Carrier system. I use it a lot when hiking in forests at night. It is hands off, but you camera is ready to grab at all times.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=9936
bgorum

Post by bgorum »

Thanks again for the responses guys. I thought about a harness system and had read Chris' review of the Cotton Carrier. The issue for me with this one is that the cameras are exposed and potentially could end up getting smacked into rocks, (for an old guy, I actually scramble quite a bit), plus here in New Mexico all my gear would end up getting covered in dust just like I do. I've been researching a bit on the web and so far I think I like the Lowepro Flipside Sport 10L AW. It seems like it will hold just what I need. It also has a pocket for a small (1 liter) water bladder. The bag access is from the back, just like f-stop bags and in the videos it shows people rotating the bag around to their front, (with the shoulder straps off), to access gear. I also think the bag looks pretty sporty. I really like the looks of the orange version, but since I don't want to be spotted 5 miles away I would probably go for the blue. My only concern is that one reviewer said it carried heavy. Having owned a Lowepro Nature Trekker previously I know all to well what that means. Given how little equipment I'll be carrying will the lack of an internal frame be a problem? Most day packs lack a frame anyway. Anybody here own and use one of these bags?

Thanks again
Stohlgren

Post by Stohlgren »

The harness system I mentioned utilizes individual cases that you can attach which would keep your gear protected. That said, it would not be my cup of tea.

The flipside looks like a really nice pack. Specs say it is only 2.1 lbs. The kenti is 3.4 (almost the same as the Loka at 3.45) The Lowpro slingshot is 1.5. I also have a nature trekker (need to sell that bad boy), which comes in at a whopping 6.39 lbs! So I don't think the flipside will feel heavy compared to your other options.

I don't think an internal frame would help at all with the gear you'll be carrying. It would just add weight. I think a waist belt is more important. The only concern I would have with the flipside is the waist belt is not padded and my be uncomfortable.
Kyle Barker

Post by Kyle Barker »

i used to have a pretty strong large fanny pack which i sewed in more padding into. it worked for a single DSLR body, 1 lens, flash and some little things. i used it for about 4 years hiking in SE Asia with decent results, but it was terrible in humidity/rain.