Aquatic Photography Technique

Photography knowledge exchange.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Noah M

Aquatic Photography Technique

Post by Noah M »

Every now and again I come across something fully aquatic. Salamander, fish, snail, etc. And usually my pictures of it are from above, or at best a 45 degree angle pointed down. I carry an old glass casserole dish to splash in some water and get some alright pictures, but what I really want are profile pictures. When I come in at an angle, the animal gets distorted. If I aim my camera right in overhead, it isn't as bad, the picture doesn't show some of the most exciting parts of the animal. That is instead of a picture of a tadpole from above, how can I get one from the side. I can't do this with my glass pan. Any helpful suggestions on how to do this? Do I just need a tiny aquarium and wait for it to swim up to the side of the tank?

How do I achieve something like this?
http://media-1.web.britannica.com/eb-me ... AE220B.jpg or this
http://donavanlakes.org/creatures/siren3.jpg
bgorum

Re: Aquatic Photography Technique

Post by bgorum »

Both the pictures you linked to look like they are are shot in an aquarium, possibly one specially built for that purpose. Even though I live in an arid state I too have some interest in trying to shoot aquatic or semi aquatic herps at their level. Periodically I'll research the current crop of compact waterproof cameras, but the all seem to do macro at the short end of there zooms, which really isn't ideal for what I want to do. Underwater housings for dslr's are a little (lot) more pricey than I want for how seldom I would use them. I've thought about sticking my camera in an aquarium and then putting that into shallow water, and maybe using one of the smart phone apps and camera dongles for focus, etc., but that seems pretty cumbersome to use. I'll be interested to see what the people more experienced with this than I have to say.
Stohlgren

Post by Stohlgren »

There are some great tips in this thread: http://www.fieldherpforum.com/forum/vie ... ium#p60268
Owen

Post by Owen »

What kind of camera do you use? I find 45 degree angle stuff isn't that bad and I can do it with this:

http://www.fieldherpforum.com/forum/vie ... 15&t=13399

some others:

If you really need to get right on the side of it, a small aquarium about 2 or 3 gallons would work if you put your camera in it and slowly lower the aquarium into the water toward your subject. If you have a tilt screen, you're just looking down at it from the top like the old TLR reflex cameras. Should work, but it requires you dragging a small aquarium around.

The other option would be to build what would look like an upside down periscope. Basically two 45 degree mirrors and a glass front in a sealed box.
Noah M

Post by Noah M »

Pretty much everything I'm talking about are things that I've netted, so they're already in hand/bucket, so I wouldn't need to put my camera into a tank itself. I use the glass baking dish, but things just don't look right to me. I was thinking maybe a mirror could help get the angle I want, and I have a few of those I could play with. I think a small aquarium, even something tiny for like betta fish, with some sand/rocks in the bottom would be fine. I could keep that in the car. When I go netting, I'll grab a bottle of water for the dish, or scoop some clearer lake/pond water in and use leaves for the bottom.

I shoot with a 60D, and would love something like Owen uses, but I couldn't find it on Adorama or B & H. I'm not really sure what they're called, so that didn't help either.

Example - here is a larval something (I think dwarf salamander) that was a bit over 1/2" total in length. I couldn't seem to get great photographs of it, which would be important for proper ID. It has eyes, but those are barely visible in the pictures, if at all. I think a side shot would have solved a few of these issues. If anybody thinks it isn't a dwarf salamander, please me know too. If it isn't one of those, then it is probably a very young newt.

Stohlgren

Post by Stohlgren »

Your salamander is a newt.

The issue with your first shot is that you are getting glare off the top of the water, and the that subject isn't completely covered in water, otherwise, the distortion doesn't really look bad at that angle. In the second shot, the only issue is that the subject is under exposed. This is because you have a dark subject on a light background. If you increase the exposure (either in the camera or in post processing) you could see more details. I believe I posted some tips on this style of shooting in the link I posted above.

-Kevin
Noah M

Post by Noah M »

Thanks. I have a lot of under exposed pics. I need some darker leaves :)
Owen

Post by Owen »

captainjack0000 wrote:
I shoot with a 60D, and would love something like Owen uses, but I couldn't find it on Adorama or B & H. I'm not really sure what they're called, so that didn't help either.
You must have missed the link to my 2012 post. I made it from a CCTV dome cover and wide angle metal hood from eBay. The rest of the pieces are local hardware store items.
chrish

Post by chrish »

There are several good technique suggestions in the links posted here, but there are also several published journal articles on fish specimen photography which would have applicable tips.

Also, there is often some useful info in the photo forum of the North American Native Fish Association (http://forum.nanfa.org/index.php/forum/ ... iscussion/) as well as some spectacular fish photos.
Noah M

Post by Noah M »

You must have missed the link to my 2012 post.
I didn't miss it. I would just prefer to buy something than build it. Haha, I know the quality of my craftsmanship, and I don't trust myself to produce something that wouldn't ruin my purchased equipment!