Nikon 14-24 2.8 anyone??????

Photography knowledge exchange.

Moderator: Scott Waters

DarwinsBulldog

Nikon 14-24 2.8 anyone??????

Post by DarwinsBulldog »

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone here has any feedback or experience with the Nikon 14-24 2.8 Everything out there says that its INSANELY sharp. That being said, as I am sure you guys know the lens cost a lot of money. I really like using a wide-angle for wildlife photography and am interesting in possibly saving my pennies up for this baby. I would appreciate any feedback on this lens from you guys. The only wide-angle I have been using so far is the 2.8 DX fisheye on my D7000. Which I have loved, but I am intrigued by the 14-24 and I would love something for the d750.
Robert Hansen

Re: Nikon 14-24 2.8 anyone??????

Post by Robert Hansen »

DarwinsBulldog wrote:Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone here has any feedback or experience with the Nikon 14-24 2.8 Everything out there says that its INSANELY sharp. That being said, as I am sure you guys know the lens cost a lot of money. I really like using a wide-angle for wildlife photography and am interesting in possibly saving my pennies up for this baby. I would appreciate any feedback on this lens from you guys. The only wide-angle I have been using so far is the 2.8 DX fisheye on my D7000. Which I have loved, but I am intrigued by the 14-24 and I would love something for the d750.
It's a very nice lens, but as you noted, it's expensive. It's also big and heavy. If you lug gear around in a vehicle, it's not a big deal to bring that lens along. If I have to hike with camera stuff and other gear, that lens typically gets left behind unless I know there will be a specific need for it. The 17-35mm is not in the same league, but it's easier to carry around and I end up using it more often for that reason. Bottom line is that if you know you have a need for the very best lens, and can afford it, buy it. But if super wide shots will only be needed on occasion, you can do quite well with other options at much lower cost.
bgorum

Re: Nikon 14-24 2.8 anyone??????

Post by bgorum »

So I don't have any personal experience with the 14-24, but I've been toying around with the idea of buying a full frame camera and have researched my wide-angle options. If I were in the market for a wide angle for full frame I think I would buy a used Nikon 14mm f2.8 instead of the zoom. From what I read the zoom is actually a little sharper than the fixed 14mm, (the fixed lens is a pretty old design), but the fixed lens is still very sharp and has less distortion. Most important of all for me though, the fixed 14mm focuses way closer than the zoom does. This matters for herp in habitat shots. I wouldn't buy the 14mm new because I think its over priced, but used ones can sometime be had for a much more reasonable sum. My only reservation about the fixed 14mm is that it has some issues with flare and ghosting when shooting into the sun. I know this because I bought one a few years back and returned it for this reason. Sigma and Tamron also made fixed 14mm lenses that focus equally close to the Nikon and from what I've read, suffer the same problems with flare, (I owned the Sigma 14 f3.5 for a few years and can attest to the flare problem with that one). Still, for herp work close focus trumps flare in my book. Nikon has been introducing some really nice fixed wide angles with the nano coating and all that good stuff in recent years, so hopefully the 14mm is due for an upgraded replacement soon as well.