Collapsible walking mono pod suggestions.

Photography knowledge exchange.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Russ Jerome

Collapsible walking mono pod suggestions.

Post by Russ Jerome »

So many options out there would love to hear first hand opinions who own them.

I work extremely steep and loose stone bluffs more than anything so strength is important.
It will be used for steadying a DSLR, one of my lens's is not image stabilized (100 mm macro).
Like it to collapse so it could double for lower shots, tucked away while hiking between mountains.

Like the MeFoto tripods that convert to sticks but price starts getting up there, appears to be worth money.
chrish

Re: Collapsible walking mono pod suggestions.

Post by chrish »

I don't have any direct recommendations other than I would like one that I could add a small ball head to. The reason I say this is that on uneven ground it can be difficult to keep your camera level where you want it if you can't adjust the angle of the top. Most "walking stick/monopods" don't allow this.

Carbon fiber would be the way to go, although it does add to the price.
Russ Jerome

Post by Russ Jerome »

Thanks, been reading since I posted and agree with what you said. They make ball heads now that will adapt to most 1/4" stud base's, some say its gets unwieldy on a pod. Trek has a pod with flip out footings that pivot as well. Price moving out of picture with the more I read.

Some experienced outdoors photographers use there expensive (strong) tripods as climbing sticks so not to loose the money shot when animals appear, makes sense I guess. Hiking up steep/loose grades for Crotalus here in WI I need to limit my gear, simply sitting down for a candy bar in some of my locations is a task in itself without sliding down mountain!
chrish

Post by chrish »

I think an inexpensive monopod with a lightweight inexpensive ball head would do the job. There are some cheap little ballheads that run under $30 and a cheap $30 monopod would do the trick. Don't hike with the camera on the monopod but it only takes a few seconds to screw a monopod into a camera.

I wonder if you could make a cheap monopod more "field friendly" by putting the rubber cup foot from a walking stick on there. You can buy rubber tips for a few bucks at any drugstore.

Here's an interesting cheap one from Walmart.com -

If you could securely glue that to your monopod foot, it would work for walking and as a somewhat stable platform?
bgorum

Post by bgorum »

OK, so I hate it when I ask a question on a forum and somebody answers it by going off in some completely different direction that I've already considered and decided I'm not interested in. If my response is an example of that I apologize! Anyone that has been out in the field with me knows I am a huge advocate of using high quality, solid tripods, BUT, when I'm scrambling up steep rocky hillsides looking for new dens I leave the tripod in the car and rely on VR lenses and the exceptional quality of high ISO images on modern DSLRs. If I were in your shoes I would by a walking stick that worked as well as possible as a walking stick and I would not worry about it doubling as a monopod.
Russ Jerome

Post by Russ Jerome »

I wish I had the extra $300 for the IS/VR version of my lens, Im a few weeks away from real world practice as the Tigers emerge so we will see.

Im listening to any replies related to the subject, like to hear them all!
Russ Jerome

Post by Russ Jerome »

Off work today thought I would just handle a few monopods...$100 out the door including an optional ball head!:

Extends way taller than needed, collapsed its under 2', plenty strong and no heavier than my climbing stick.
I would not free stand a 5D on it but thats not really what its designed for. Base is removable and a nice round end exposed.

Tension on clasps is solid, pivot footing can be adjusted thru screws as well clasps. I only weigh 160# but Im sure it can handle
a heavier person. China built promaster MPV432, camera store was less than online, said they have sold plenty and none have
come back for the unconditional in store 1 year warranty.

Will update if it fails but feel pretty good about It, happy with its feel and build (Im a 30yr ASE master tech).
chrish

Post by chrish »

That's a pretty good looking setup. Hope it works well.

Where did you end up buying it?
Russ Jerome

Post by Russ Jerome »

Arts camera plus, not sure if they are a mom and pop or Nationwide. Looked online at reviews after I bought, cheaper than online and great reviews! The ballmount by same company leaves a little to be desired on thubscrew disconect but I can fix that. Took some bird pictures tonight on trail, think it fits the bill. Also attached allen head to it for future use, you can dial footing to easily hold my sl1 secure if I feel vein enough for a selfie with my Crotalus friends.