Who bring two (or more) camera's in field?

Photography knowledge exchange.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Russ Jerome

Who bring two (or more) camera's in field?

Post by Russ Jerome »

I've been practicing a lot in field doing bird pictures so when Herps hit full stride this year Im familiar with my setup. Now comfortable with camera pictures and mount (so not to bang camera when leaning over and lifting a board) Im starting to dread swapping lens's during different sightings. Presently use a camera fanny pack, 2 lens in pack and neck strap/ mounted lens swing free in fanny pack strap.

Lens swapping has become a swift procedure but in the time it takes to pull and secure a macro lens, mount a tele the Snowy Owl I wanted to shoot is now gone...sucks!

I have access to my wifes older D40, heavier than my new SL1 Canon but both are consumer grade non pro bodies. Im guessing I would want to place better macro lens on the higher pixel of the two camera's, mount the tele lens on the older camera.

If you use two setups do you use a dual shoulder strap or do you stash 2nd camera in a pack?
Im gonna try it regardless this weekend just curious if those loose looking dual mounts would even work for us (leaning over).
Antonsrkn

Re: Who bring two (or more) camera's in field?

Post by Antonsrkn »

Hey Russ,

I'm a fan of the 2 camera body approach. Back when I had two similar camera bodies, a D70 and a D80, I would walk around with both with a macro and a telephoto attached. Macro would usually be in my backpack and telephoto would be out and ready to go. As usually macro subjects give you a bit of time to get set up whereas wildlife you'd use a telephoto for can up and disappear in a split second. Now that I shoot with a D7100 which is considerably better than my other options (D70 and D80) I only have the one camera with me but if I were to upgrade I would start carrying my D7100 around as a secondary camera.

Lens changing is a swift procedure that only takes a second or two, but I prefer to avoid it if I can, even so I still end up switching lenses out all the time during a typical day. Afterall everytime provides an opportunity for dust and dirt to enter the camera. And when I'm in the tropics I'm frequently out shooting in drizzly wet conditions, I just won't switch lenses if there is a chance that water could get in the camera, so just having two camera bodies with me would be optimal.

One thing that confused me about your post is you're talking about using a D40 and a Sl1 Canon and talking about which lens to place on which body. I don't know about the specific bodies you're speaking about but Nikon and Canon have different lens mounts, my understanding are there are ways to get around this, but you can't just swap lenses between the 2. You need an adapter of some sort. You may already know this but just making sure.
MonarchzMan

Post by MonarchzMan »

I have a Canon 7DII and 5DIII that I regularly bring into the field. Typically, I'll have both around my neck when I'm hiking around looking for subjects to photograph. My 7DII is pretty much exclusively my telephoto body whereas the 5DIII is my wide angle/macro body. Changing lenses is not a quick thing for me (having to dig out a lens out of my backpack involves setting the backpack down and opening it up - generally causing enough motion to scare off a subject). So I've taken to having two cameras out at a time and being able to quickly take shots. I've found this to be much preferable to trying to change lenses.

If I know I'm in an area I'm unlikely to visit again, I'll often have both cameras out so I don't miss anything. If I am in a spot that is easily accessible and I can visit over and over, I may just have one camera out.
Russ Jerome

Post by Russ Jerome »

Antonsrkn wrote:
One thing that confused me about your post is you're talking about using a D40 and a Sl1 Canon and talking about which lens to place on which body. I don't know about the specific bodies you're speaking about but Nikon and Canon have different lens mounts, my understanding are there are ways to get around this, but you can't just swap lenses between the 2. You need an adapter of some sort. You may already know this but just making sure.
Your reply was exactly what I was looking for, yes weather/ dust is a concern. My wifes D40 and my SL1 are both Canon (c-mos) so lens's swap to/from. Your right to, the macro subjects will be stationary so now my decision is her lower pixel older camera (heavy) with premium Macro and have my lighter/ higher pixel with kit Tele for main duty. I suppose when my favorite Crotalus is in sight I could move the Macro back to higher pixel camera (double swap!).

Been reading day and night, think I need a second SL1! The SL1 is tiny, pics on par with any non full frame Canon.
Russ Jerome

Post by Russ Jerome »

MonarchzMan wrote: (having to dig out a lens out of my backpack involves setting the backpack down and opening it up - generally causing enough motion to scare off a subject).
Im with you now! I gave up on backpack, I scored a cheap multi pocket fanny pack for $60 at Cabelas. It makes it quicker but I still hate swapping loose caps so I dont get dust in lens or camera. Dual camera practice this weekend thanks both of you.
MonarchzMan

Post by MonarchzMan »

Russ Jerome wrote:
MonarchzMan wrote: (having to dig out a lens out of my backpack involves setting the backpack down and opening it up - generally causing enough motion to scare off a subject).
Im with you now! I gave up on backpack, I scored a cheap multi pocket fanny pack for $60 at Cabelas. It makes it quicker but I still hate swapping loose caps so I dont get dust in lens or camera. Dual camera practice this weekend thanks both of you.
Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't change the backpack at all. I have enough invested in my camera equipment that I need something solid to protect it. I've gone through just about every condition with my backpack (falls, rain, saltwater, etc) and it's been a champ and kept my gear protected. I look like I'm going backpacking wherever I go with it, but that's fine (and there's the added bonus that it's not an obvious camera bag so it doesn't attract unwanted attention in questionable places. But when I'm in shooting mode, I'll generally have stuff out.
chrish

Post by chrish »

I generally don't use two bodies even though I have several. Fortunately my go-to bird lens also focuses close enough for most "grab" herp shots in the field. But if I am mostly herping, but macro lens goes on the camera and I usually don't even carry the bird lens.

That said, I always take two camera bodies on trips with me. I have had a camera body fail me once in Panama and I swore that would never happen again.

If I could find an inexpensive P&S that had good enough image quality and a respectable lens range with macro focus, I have thought about buying that and just putting that in a pocket and keeping my big lens on the DSLR.

I also am a big believer in camera/hunting vests with lots of pockets over a backpack for being in the field, especially in hot humid places like the tropics where a backpack can be really uncomfortable for a long walk in the jungle. I also carry recording gear so a backpack isn't as practical as a well stocked vest.
I carry plastic bags in my vest in case of rain.
MonarchzMan

Post by MonarchzMan »

chrish wrote:I also am a big believer in camera/hunting vests with lots of pockets over a backpack for being in the field, especially in hot humid places like the tropics where a backpack can be really uncomfortable for a long walk in the jungle. I also carry recording gear so a backpack isn't as practical as a well stocked vest.
I carry plastic bags in my vest in case of rain.
I've thought about vests on occasion, and I still may get one for "light" excursions, but in general, I'm just so clumsy when hiking that I'd worry about tripping and banging things together or crushing something. I need that insurance of padding of a backpack, personally.