Quality difference in Gorillapods

Photography knowledge exchange.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Antonsrkn

Quality difference in Gorillapods

Post by Antonsrkn »

Hello all,

Does anyone have experience with the most expensive gorillapod? If you take a look at the Joby website link: http://joby.com/gorillapod you'll notice the varying gorillapod options. The one that I'm asking about is the gorilla pod focus for about ~$150 as compared to the next most expensive one, the Gorillapod SLR zoom ~$50. I have one gorillapod and its extremely useful, I like it quite a bit and I was thinking about getting another one for my flash unit. My question is how much better is the $150 focus pod than the regular $50 DSLR one? Is it really worth the price difference? If I got the more expensive variety I would use that one for my camera and the one I already have would become the designated flash tripod.

I'm using a Nikon D810 so its a pretty heavy camera but will it really be worth the extra $100 for the better gorillapod?
chrish

Re: Quality difference in Gorillapods

Post by chrish »

The only reason I would upgrade would be to buy a bigger/stronger unit for my camera because I had some specific need.

If your existing unit is adequate for your camera body, I would suggest that the standard ($20) would be fine for a flash or, at most, the hybrid model since it has a ball head for easier control of pointing the flash.
Chad M. Lane

Post by Chad M. Lane »

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

I have the focus, and it holds up my D810 + Tamron 15-30mm (4.55lbs) and sometimes my SB-800 on camera as well. I think I paid $90-100 on Amazon, wasn't $150.

Cheers,
Chad
Antonsrkn

Post by Antonsrkn »

Thanks for the input from both of you, I appreciate it!
Chad M. Lane wrote: I think I paid $90-100 on Amazon, wasn't $150.
Yeah, I wasn't going to get it from their site as its more expensive than I have seen elsewhere, the one I have was from Amazon as well and was something like ~$20 less than what they sell their DSLR gorillapod for. Once I made a choice I was going to shop around for a better deal.
Nshepard

Post by Nshepard »

I use the 50 dollar model and love it. Thinking about getting a second. I've had it for 2-3 years and it still works great. I use it mainly for flashes but sometimes for the camera itself and it holds a Canon 70D (without battery grip) fine. The only reason I could see for upgrading is if you needed better support for the weight or you wanted to make use of a turn knob for the vertical and horizontal features separately. My 50 model I can move both but only with one knob and at the same time.