Beginner Question - Looking DSLR Camera

Photography knowledge exchange.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Herbert38

Beginner Question - Looking DSLR Camera

Post by Herbert38 »

Hello Everyone.

I'm so glad I found this forum and it is great to be here! So over the past few days I was lurking around and finally decided to register. Hopefully I can get some help here.

I generally have a liking for lizards and recently started to take more and more pictures of them. But I guess, my very first camera, a Fuji X10, is not suitable for that. Without a doubt, technically it is quite outdated. I mean I still love this camera. It just takes great pictures and served me really well through all these years.

Anyway, I was thinking about buying a proper DSLR camera, especially for taking pictures of lizards and snakes. Therefore you need some decent equipment. Right?

So I was thinking a about a Fuji as well because they are very easy to operate and I'm used to it. But unfortunately they only offer mirror-less digital cameras. That's why this week I did some research and checked out some well known trusted shopping sites as well as websites for classified adds. But the sheer amount of types and models is just overwhelming. I can't really decide which one to pick.

So far I nailed it down to a Canon EOS 80d and a Nikon 7200D. In my opinion both would be a good start. They are high quality, mid-range DSLRs and suitable for my needs.
But, right now I don't know which one I should buy. Both are pretty decent pieces of equipment. So any advice on that? Are there any strong or weak points, especially with regard to shooting lizards and stuff like that?

I heard for Canon is a kind of alternative program available, which is called Magic Lantern. Anybody here knows that and can tell me more about it?

I'm on a budget. That's why I was thinking about buying a used DSLR camera off http://www.for-sale.co.uk/dslr-camera. Is that advisable and are there some common pitfalls to avoid? Any opinion on that? Or maybe I can buy an older version like the EOS 70D or the 7100D. Does that make much of a difference?

Sorry for all these questions, but I just started get into DSLR photography. Therefore any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Herb.
bgorum

Re: Beginner Question - Looking DSLR Camera

Post by bgorum »

Hey Herb, welcome to the forum.

Can I first ask why you want to get a Dslr instead of a mirrorless camera? Right now I think Dslr's are better only if you shoot action, (sports, wildlife, etc.), and Sony is even taking away that advantage with the new A9. Still, if you are shooting action I think a Dslr is the way to go, for now. For the kinds of pictures most herpers take, (i.e. posed shots without a lot of action), a mirrorless camera will work just fine and has some important advantages over a Dslr. Things like focus peaking, freedom form front and back focus caused by misalignment of the phase detect auto focus system, the ability to preview exposure, etc.

If you have definitely made up your mind to get a Dslr, then either of the two cameras would be fine. I used the D7200 previously and was always pleased with its performance. The older D7100 was virtually the same camera, so if you could save some money by getting that instead of a D7200, and put the savings into a better lens, that would probably be the way to go.

As far as Canon vs Nikon goes I'm a Nikon user, but right now if I had to start over, I'd buy Canon. Its not because I think Canon is better, on the contrary Nikon sensors have less noise, Nikon has the best AF system (D500 and D5), and Nikon cameras produce better color (subjective admittedly). The reason I would chose Canon is because of the whole mirrorless thing. I really do beleive mirrorless is the future for interchangeable lens cameras. Neither Nikon nor Canon make a really serious mirrorless camera. Hopefully they will in the future. Right now the only mirrorless system that i would consider is Sony and it turns out many Canon lenses work pretty well with adapters on Sony cameras. Nikon lenses on adapters do not work well on Sony. (Remember, you are buying into a system, you'll eventually end up spending far more on lenses than on camera bodies). Now, if Nikon announces a professional mirrorless camera, then I reserve the right to change my recommendation to Nikon!

I hope that is mildly helpful and doesn't just muddy the waters more. If you have any others questions please ask and once again welcome to the forum!

P.s., I believe Magic lantern is the title of a series of books on how to use specific cameras.
Herbert38

Post by Herbert38 »

Hey bgorum.

Thank you so much for your reply. You told me about a lot of things I wasn't aware of. I always thought DSLR are state of the art when it comes down to digital photography.

So I will have a look at some mirror-less ones.

Greetings.
Herb.
chrish

Post by chrish »

bgorum wrote: As far as Canon vs Nikon goes I'm a Nikon user, but right now if I had to start over, I'd buy Canon. Its not because I think Canon is better, on the contrary Nikon sensors have less noise, Nikon has the best AF system (D500 and D5), and Nikon cameras produce better color (subjective admittedly). The reason I would chose Canon is because of the whole mirrorless thing. I really do beleive mirrorless is the future for interchangeable lens cameras. Neither Nikon nor Canon make a really serious mirrorless camera. Hopefully they will in the future. Right now the only mirrorless system that i would consider is Sony and it turns out many Canon lenses work pretty well with adapters on Sony cameras. Nikon lenses on adapters do not work well on Sony. (Remember, you are buying into a system, you'll eventually end up spending far more on lenses than on camera bodies). Now, if Nikon announces a professional mirrorless camera, then I reserve the right to change my recommendation to Nikon!
Or your could just avoid this whole issue by buying into the Sony Mirrorless system from the start. They have great sensors, great cameras, great lenses and they are all 100% compatible with themselves (i.e. no adapters necessary).

Furthermore, Sony are an industry leader when it comes to shooting video. Lots of serious video shooters have moved from Canon/Nikon to Sony for this reason. If you haven't already completed the deal, it would be worthwhile reading the pretty unbiased camera buying guides on DPReview.com
bgorum

Post by bgorum »

chrish wrote:
bgorum wrote: As far as Canon vs Nikon goes I'm a Nikon user, but right now if I had to start over, I'd buy Canon. Its not because I think Canon is better, on the contrary Nikon sensors have less noise, Nikon has the best AF system (D500 and D5), and Nikon cameras produce better color (subjective admittedly). The reason I would chose Canon is because of the whole mirrorless thing. I really do beleive mirrorless is the future for interchangeable lens cameras. Neither Nikon nor Canon make a really serious mirrorless camera. Hopefully they will in the future. Right now the only mirrorless system that i would consider is Sony and it turns out many Canon lenses work pretty well with adapters on Sony cameras. Nikon lenses on adapters do not work well on Sony. (Remember, you are buying into a system, you'll eventually end up spending far more on lenses than on camera bodies). Now, if Nikon announces a professional mirrorless camera, then I reserve the right to change my recommendation to Nikon!
Or your could just avoid this whole issue by buying into the Sony Mirrorless system from the start. They have great sensors, great cameras, great lenses and they are all 100% compatible with themselves (i.e. no adapters necessary).

Furthermore, Sony are an industry leader when it comes to shooting video. Lots of serious video shooters have moved from Canon/Nikon to Sony for this reason. If you haven't already completed the deal, it would be worthwhile reading the pretty unbiased camera buying guides on DPReview.com
Two problems with buying into the Sony system from my point of view. The first is that their lens selection at this time is pretty sparse. Additionally there are very few independent, (Sigma, Tamron, etc.), lenses made for Sony E mount. The second problem is related to the first, the lenses they do make and will make in the future, (I've no doubt that Sony is working on filling in lens gaps at a feverish pace), are going to be expensive. New Canon and Nikon lenses are also very expensive, but with those systems you have the option of buying from a huge used inventory of lenses that simply does not exist for Sony. However, I were rich and I didn't need any of the lenses currently missing in Sony's line-up, that's the system I would buy today.