Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM

Photography knowledge exchange.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Dave

Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM

Post by Dave »

I'm heading out to Texas' Big Bend at the end of the month and want to purchase the Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM for early morning desert landscape images. It will be mounted to my 70D. I'd really love to see some of your captures with this lens! Also, suggestions? Advice? My goal is crisp detail of the rocky outcroppings with some flora color and dramatic skies.
bgorum

Re: Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM

Post by bgorum »

Hey Dave,

I'm not a Canon user, so I don't have any pictures I can share from that lens. I'm sure it is a great performer, but I'm curious about what your line of thinking is in choosing that particular lens, especially for a 70d and for landscapes. Since the 70d is a dx format camera the 24mm lens is going to give you an angle of view of only 59 degrees, vs the 84 degree angle of view the same lens would give you on a full frame camera. That's really not very wide at all, its much closer to what we tend to think of as a "normal" lens, or one that has the same field of view as our own eyes. Perhaps that's what you want, and you haven't said what other lenses you already own and will be bringing along. Personally, for shooting landscapes I like having something wider than that, and I prefer using a zoom for the framing versatility they offer. For landscapes you will normally be stopping the lens down for some depth of field, so the f1.4 aperture is really not an advantage, (usually, there are time when selective focus works well in landscapes, but not really for the kinds of pictures you described wanting to take). Again, I don't know the Canon system well, but back when I used a dx format Nikon for landscapes I always liked the combination of the 10-24, (I believe Canon makes a 10-22 that is highly regarded), and 24-85. I'll bet you could pick up both the 10-22 and the Canon 24-105, (or the even more highly regarded Sigma 24-105 art), for no more than the 24 f1.4 would cost you. Again, I apologize if my suggestions are completely off base and you already have these other ranges covered, but I'm just going on what you told us.
Dave

Post by Dave »

I was thinking that the cropped sensor might be a problem during landscape shots. Mainly I chose this lens for it's low light capability and it's potential with a full frame camera (which will be somewhere down the road for me). I also chose it for event photography indoors. My two other lenses are the Canon EF-S 18-135, and the Canon EF-S 55-250, which, although decent for herping, are terrible in low light scenarios because of the higher f stops. I also have a baby on the way, so I thought the 24mm was a good choice for pregnancy/newborn shots. Thanks for the input so far bgorum. I welcome any corrective criticism since I'm still hovering somewhere around "expert"-novice lol.
bgorum

Post by bgorum »

Dave wrote:I was thinking that the cropped sensor might be a problem during landscape shots. Mainly I chose this lens for it's low light capability and it's potential with a full frame camera (which will be somewhere down the road for me). I also chose it for event photography indoors. My two other lenses are the Canon EF-S 18-135, and the Canon EF-S 55-250, which, although decent for herping, are terrible in low light scenarios because of the higher f stops. I also have a baby on the way, so I thought the 24mm was a good choice for pregnancy/newborn shots. Thanks for the input so far bgorum. I welcome any corrective criticism since I'm still hovering somewhere around "expert"-novice lol.
Your other reasons for wanting the 24 f1.4 make a lot of sense to me. I think the lenses you already own should be fine for Big Bend landscapes. Though I might suggest you invest in a good tripod to go along with them. That will solve the high f-stop problem for landscapes. But for the other uses you describe I'll bet the 24 f1.4 will be great. You'll never regret investing in good glass!
Dave

Post by Dave »

Thanks bgorum. I do have a nice tripod, and can take the camera images with my phone for zero movement. I may hold off until after the trip for the 24mm now. I know I'll sure use it when that baby comes! My other lenses are very decent for herp photography as well. So here's to finding cool herps out in Big Bend! Thanks again.