Macro Lens Help!!

Photography knowledge exchange.

Moderator: Scott Waters

David Hardesty

Macro Lens Help!!

Post by David Hardesty »

I have a Nikon D3000 and would like help on choices for a good Macro lens to get those closeup shots. I am looking for something under $500 if possible. Anybody have any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it thanks.
gretzkyrh4

Re: Macro Lens Help!!

Post by gretzkyrh4 »

I've used the Tamron 90mm Macro for a few years now and have no complaints. There are a few good options out there, so I'd take the time and read a few reviews after folks here give you some recommendations.

Chris
J-Miz

Post by J-Miz »

If you don't mind picking up a secondhand lens, then $500 will surely be enough to buy a kick@ss macro. I use Canon, and initially used a 60mm macro. I loved it until I tried out a Sigma 180mm macro I picked up for $400. The 60mm hasn't been used since! Sometimes, I'll admit, the 180mm can be a bit on the long end, but it can be a blessing as well for photographing venomous species from a safer distance, or insects without scaring them off, etc. Generally, it seems the most popular focal length though is around 100mm.
Matt J

Post by Matt J »

I completely agree with two of J-Miz's statements: It appears as though ~100mm focal length is the most commonly used lens among herpers (including myself), and buying used lenses is absolutely the way to go. I have purchased every one of my lenses off of eBay or used from Adorama and have been 100% satisfied with performance and savings.
RCampbell

Post by RCampbell »

Good advice. The 105mm macro would be a good lens for you. Adorama, B&H, and a myriiad of other places can hook you up with used quality lenses within your price range. Also check your local craigslist....often you will be able to meet in person and actually try the lens that way.

Good luck and happy actuating!

-Riley
Jason Mintzer

Post by Jason Mintzer »

I have used the tamron 90mm macro for a years now and am completely happy. It is a very sharp lens. Occasionaly when photographing crotes I wish it was a bit longer, but I can always crop. If I could go back in time, I would still buy the tamron.
David Hardesty

Post by David Hardesty »

Thanks for the input and I think for the price I am going to check out the Tamron.