another lizard lens for nikon question

Photography knowledge exchange.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Jason Mintzer

another lizard lens for nikon question

Post by Jason Mintzer »

The previous post has got me really wanting a good lizard lens. Right now i have a d80. Would the tamron 180mm macro with a 2X teleconverter be a sharp lizard lens? Is there is a good 2X teleconverter that will work with that lens? Thank you.

bgorum

Re: another lizard lens for nikon question

Post by bgorum »

I don't have any personal experience with the Tamron 180 macro, but I'm guessing the combo of that lens and a 2x teleconverter would not be all that great. First of all the Tamron 180 has a maximum aperture of f3.5, add a 2x converter and you lose two stops which makes your maximum aperture f7, which is pretty dim. I don't know which 2x you would be planning to get, but my experience with Nikon's TC300, which was a very expensive converter designed specifically to work with Nikon's long telephotos, was that it significantly reduced sharpness with most lenses, especially when the lens was used wide open. I'm thinking that the generic 2x converters designed to work on any lens would be even worse.

J-Miz

Post by J-Miz »

I'd guess that image quality with a quality teleconverter would be alright, especially if stopped down. This combo might actually work quite well with macro photography, and on a tripod, shutter release, and good technique. However, for lizard shooting I don't think this is the best option. You're going to want something faster...something you can use handheld as you stalk your subject. I don't know what you're looking to spend, and I don't know Nikon lenses, but I'd guess a 300/4 would be ideal. It would be relatively lightweight and compact, yet offer pretty good reach. This prime, no doubt, is going to sharp...I can say that with confidence without even knowing much about Nikon! In the Canon world, there is an image-stabilized model and an older one without. Image quality is about the same, but the older non-IS model costs a bit less. The Canon IS model features ridiculously close focusing...something like 4 or 5 feet. I'd imagine Nikon has something similar.

As a further bonus, it would perform quite well with a 1.4x TC, giving you a 300/4 and 420/5.6...

Jason Mintzer

Post by Jason Mintzer »

Thanks guys, I didn't realize that with the teleconverter it would make the lens a f7. I will look into 300 primes.