The $1,500 Question

Photography knowledge exchange.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Mike VanValen

The $1,500 Question

Post by Mike VanValen »

If you had to $1,500 to spend on a DSLR / lenses, what would you buy?
J-Miz

Re: The $1,500 Question

Post by J-Miz »

Do you have anything at all? Just remember, invest in the glass (i.e. lenses). You don't need the newest, top of the line DSLR.
Mike VanValen

Post by Mike VanValen »

I have a Nikon D5000.
MHollanders

Post by MHollanders »

You can buy a 105mm macro, flash, and maybe even a wide angle lens for that money.
Matt J

Post by Matt J »

I would buy a 400mm lens for birding and a flash for herping. Yeah, that sure would be nice...
Kevin Price

Post by Kevin Price »

Does a new computer count? If not, then I'd put it towards a newer camera body or a good manually adjustable point and shoot camera.
Kyle Dickerson

Post by Kyle Dickerson »

Nikon D5000 w/ kit lens - $629
Nikon 70-300mm VR - $430
SB-900 Flash (use in SU-4 mode) - $450

$9 overbudget, but whatev.

Kyle.
justinm

Post by justinm »

I would buy a 180mm or 200mm lens, and another nice flash.
Jason Mintzer

Post by Jason Mintzer »

Right now I would buy the nikon 300 f4 and the nikon 1.4 teleconverter. That is what I am currently saving up for right now.
chrish

Post by chrish »

Mike,

What do you have/not have?
What sort of photography do you do?
What sort of photography are you interested in trying?

Until we know that about you, we can't answer very well.

For example, I like to photograph (in order) herps, birds, mammals and then some scenery/habitat and other critters.

If I had a D5000 and the kit lens, that would cover me for habitat stuff, and the kit lens is OK for herps, so I would buy the 80-400 VR ED. Great lens for birds and also good for shy herps (lizards, crocs).

If I didn't take long shots and was primarily interested in great herp shots, I would get
- a good macro lens in the 90 - 105 range (Tamron 90mm Di Macro, Sigma 105mm macro, etc)
- the Nikkor R1C1 close up flash kit.

But what do YOU want to shoot?

Chris
Mike VanValen

Post by Mike VanValen »

Hi Chris,

I have a Nikon D5000 with the kit lens. I've had it for a year and it's very tempting at this point to pick up a D90 body.

I also have an old Tamron SP 90mm. I'd like to move up to a nicer macro lens.

I shoot mostly herps and landscapes, but would like to get into shooting birds as well.
mikemike

Post by mikemike »

I'm ordering a D7000 in the next week or so, along with the Tamron 90mm (which will come out to almost 1,500 exactly)... but if you want to add flash and what not you're better off going with the D90. I'll be spending more on a new flash setup, wide angle, etc. once my tax return comes though, which will bring it a bit over the $1,500 answer.
J-Miz

Post by J-Miz »

I probably should keep quiet since I don't know the Nikon world, but I like to hear myself speak. What is wrong with the older Tamron 90mm? Is it the focal length you're looking to change? Or is the older model somehow inferior in its optics to the newer models?

As far as D5000 vs D90, I again don't know the difference but it is often said that it is wisest to invest in the glass first and once you have the lenses you need, then you can feel free to upgrade the body. I've seen wonderful photos come from entry-level DSLR's with pro lenses, but less so the other way around. Just my take...lenses don't lose value nearly as much as camera bodies do.

With birds, I'd recommend nothing shorter than 400mm. That is, unless you live in Florida where the wildlife literally lets you walk up to them.
bgorum

Post by bgorum »

The whole issue of upgrading bodies is sort of a tough one. The bottom line is that a better body will not take any better pictures, (assuming the same sensor is used), but it can sure make taking those pictures easier/more enjoyable. Is there some feature that your d5000 lacks that you would gain buy getting a d90? Nikon seems to make four different levels of SLR- entry level (like the d5000), advanced amateur (like the d90), semi-pro (d300s, d700), and pro (d3 series). The new d7000 seems to blur the line between the advanced amateur and semi-pro lines. I've always liked the semi-pro cameras best, they are not so big and expensive as the pro cameras and they offer a better layout of controls and fit my hands and fingers better than the amateur cameras. You might want to try out a d90 or d7000 and see if it works better for you than your d5000, but I wouldn't expect any better pictures out of it.

As far as lenses go, I'm assuming that your Tamron 90 is the older manual focus lens that only achieves 1/2 life size and does not meter on the d5000. If this is the case the lens will become much more useful on a d90, since you'll have metering. If you already have the autofocus version of the Tamron, then keep it. From everything I've heard that is a fantastic lens. You've for the kit lens which you can use for landscapes, though a wider angle lens would be nice. What you really seem to be lacking is a good telephoto. For $1500 you could get a really nice telephoto like a Nikon 300 or 80-400vr (used) or maybe a Sigma 150-500. Or you could go for a telephoto/wide angle combo like a Nikon 10-24 plus a 70-300vr.

Personally I'd like to have your dilemma!
Chad M. Lane

Post by Chad M. Lane »

In my opinion the D5000 sucks, I told a good friend of mine NOT to get it, and get the D90. The D90 gives you a ton of more options more so of a semi pro body. Now he totally regrets ever buying the D5000 to many limitations etc..

Now that the D7000 came out for $300? more than the D90 it makes the D90 obsolete as it has much better IQ. It has better IQ than the D300/D300s, and it almost the same as the D700, minus it being a DX sensor, and ISO performance it not quite up with the D700. It also has two memory card slots which is AWESOME, that is the only thing I dislike about my D700 vs the D3 is the double card slots. I lost a full 8G card which sucks, luckily I don't think I had a 'fantastic' shot on it, so it I didn't spend the money on trying to get the memory off of it, as the backup software failed.

As for the old Tamron Vs new Tamron both are SHARP lenses, I had my almost 20 y/o Tamron go out on me, due to the diagram blades getting gunked up over the years, and the repair man, told me that most new lenses don't have this problem as they are built a bit different and this lens should last even longer. That's how much I love the Tamron 90mm I bought a new one as soon as I could.

Cheers,
Chad