Your worst piece of camera gear

Photography knowledge exchange.

Moderator: Scott Waters

milmoejoe

Your worst piece of camera gear

Post by milmoejoe » June 17th, 2010, 6:43 am

Lots of talk about your favorite camera lens, accessory, what can't you live without, yadda yadda yadda.

I'm more curious about what you bought that totally sucks? What's the biggest waste of space in your camera bag?

Me:
-Expodisc custom WB filter
-Aquatech soft hood
-Optech rain sleeve

On the fence about:
-Arctic butterfly sensor cleaner (have only used once)

And "not even gonna go there"
-Quick Action Harness, $495

milmoejoe

Re: Your worst piece of camera gear

Post by milmoejoe » June 17th, 2010, 6:50 am

Sorry in advance if my worst items are your favorites :)

AndyO'Connor

Post by AndyO'Connor » June 17th, 2010, 7:15 am

I bought some cheap no name brand filters and lens adaptors for my point and shoot Sony H9 that are horrible. When was a 2x teleconversion and the other was a .5 wide angle, they both cause a ton of distortion except for in the very center, so only like the center10-15% of the view would be clear. None of the filters really do much except change the tints of white. The circular polarizer works to an extent, but NOT as well as some others I have borrowed from people who bought name brand filters or polarizers. If a price on ebay seems too good to be true, and it's a made in China special with a brand you haven't heard of, save your money.

chrish

Post by chrish » June 17th, 2010, 12:07 pm

Wow, I have some contenders for biggest waste of money:

Sigma - 180 APO F5.6 Macro - bought this to have a longer macro 10+ years ago. It won't autofocus in anything but the brightest light, it isn't as sharp as a macro should be and mine has some fungus issues (it appears).

Tokina AT-X AF 24-200 F3.5-5.6 242 - I bought this used from Adorama after reading some positive reviews online a few years ago. First off they sent me a rebadged Cosina version :x and I used it a couple of times and was very dissatisfied with the image quality.

I bought a big Tamrac case for my 500 f/4.5, but I didn't estimate the size I needed correctly. So I shelled out over $100 for a lens case that is too big for anything I own (or would ever own). I should have returned it, but I got too busy. Now I have a brand new, never used Tamrac case with tags on it. I guess I need to ebay it and recover some of the money.

I have a manual focus 100-300 f/4 Tokina lens for the Canon F mount. It isn't junk, I just have no camera that it would work on (and never have owned any). I bought it online cheap because I wanted the lens hood for my Sony/Minolta mount AF version of the lens. It is an awesome lens (at least my minolta mount one is), but right now it is a paperweight. I guess I could re-ebay what is left and try and recoup the $20 I spent. Anybody have Canon MF stuff? I'll send it to you if you pay shipping!

I have an old Adorama branded 2x converter which I should have thrown out 10 years ago.

Joe,

I like that lens prosthesis thing. That's hilarious. I guess as long as you can stand perfectly still......and don't breathe it would work.

I hope for $495 it came with the lens! ;)

Chris

milmoejoe

Post by milmoejoe » June 18th, 2010, 6:15 am

Ah yes, the wonderful ebay trash. People often ask me for "first camera" advice, which typically entails a link to an ebay package full of useless generic accessories. I cringe every time I see it!

I don't think I've really had a problem with lenses. Surprising, as I buy nearly everything second hand.

There is lots of duplicity with camera backpacks and lens bags. Nothing ever seems to fit perfectly, but you get by most of the time. I've spent my fair share on trying out a variety of them, but still no major complaints!

One thing I've bought, but never used is a Canon drop in polarizer filter. I imagine it's probably got some utility, just haven't got around to using it (after 3 years!).

And, I'm hardly a stickler for customer service, but the folks at Gitzo are ridiculous. I'm glad other companies are starting to step up to the plate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGCAve4K2uA

soulsurvivor

Post by soulsurvivor » June 18th, 2010, 7:44 am

I bought a set of four close-up lens attachments for my Fuji. One was a super macro lens, which I use frequently. The other three were like, 2x, 3x, and 4x....something like that. I have never used them. Why would I need those when I have a 10x macro lens?

bgorum

Post by bgorum » June 18th, 2010, 9:45 am

I once owned a Nikon series E 50mm f1.8 which was the worst lens I ever had. Super low contrast and terrible flare. I got it used, (it came with a camera body I wanted), so I'm guessing there was something wrong with it since lots of people really rave about that lens. A couple years ago I had to send my 80-200 zoom in for repair and I did not want to be without a lens in that range while it was gone. I purchased a Sigma 70-210 UC-II lens on ebay for all of $30 including shipping. It's very cheap and plasticky, though no worse than some of the cheaper Nikon lenses. If you shoot with it wide open at 210mm it has the weirdest really wide green color fringing that I have never seen before and it's pretty soft. However, stop it down to about f11 and it is fine! My wife still has that lens.

paalexan

Post by paalexan » July 2nd, 2010, 12:42 pm

I have a Canon 20D body sitting around on which the shutter mechanism eventually gave out--but not completely. You can still take pictures with it, but only if you hold it upside down.

Daryl Eby

Post by Daryl Eby » July 2nd, 2010, 1:16 pm

Most of my photographic problems are caused by the nut that holds my camera.

paalexan

Post by paalexan » July 2nd, 2010, 1:21 pm

Daryl Eby wrote:Most of my photographic problems are caused by the nut that holds my camera.
That sounds like a very uncomfortable way to do photography.