Images from the Sigma AF 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC macro

Photography knowledge exchange.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Post Reply
Jamie D
Posts: 38
Joined: June 8th, 2010, 7:14 am
Location: Racine, WI

Images from the Sigma AF 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC macro

Post by Jamie D » May 22nd, 2011, 4:40 am

I purchased this lens over the winter to replace my Nikkor 18-70. What drew me to this lens was the slightly wider angle, the close focus at all zoom ranges and the relatively fast aperture. The first thing I noticed when I got it is the weight and build quality. It was way heavier than my Nikkor and the build seemed rock solid.

I had read some reviews about Sigma quality being inconsistent so was eager to confirm whether or not I got a "good copy". I think I scored a good one and so far am in love with this lens and it will be the lens I use for 90% of my herp photography. The other 10% will be when I want true macro or the longer reach of a real telephoto.

Here are some of the shots taken with this lens. You can see slightly bigger versions by clicking the link below the photos.

f22 @ 24mm. Off camera flash used.
Image
Eastern Garter Snake

f20 @ 70mm. Natural light and reflector used to ad fill light.
Image
Pasque Flower

f10 @ 70mm. Off camera flash used.
Image
Blue Spotted Salamander

f11 @ 70mm. Natural light.
Image
Pasque Flower

f11 @ 17mm. Natural light.
Image
Eastern Hognose Snake

f8 @ 19mm. Natural light.
Image
Timber Rattlesnake

So far I really love the lens. It's sharp and versatile. The close focus is something like 8 inches and thats from the sensor, not the end of the lens. It'll basically focus on something right off the end of the lens hood at 70mm and while not a true macro it seems to have enough magnification for any herp that'll let you get that close. The biggest drawback and challenge is lighting a subject so close to the lens because lots of times you'l be blocking any available natural light and any flash mounted on the hotshoe or pop-up flash will cast a shadow.

So anyway, that's my review of this lens.
Thanks for looking.

User avatar
Jason Mintzer
Posts: 101
Joined: June 8th, 2010, 6:25 am
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: Images from the Sigma AF 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC macro

Post by Jason Mintzer » May 22nd, 2011, 8:06 pm

Some really nice shots. Looks like you got a great lens. 19mm for that timber seems awful close. I really like the hognose and flower shots. :beer:

Jamie D
Posts: 38
Joined: June 8th, 2010, 7:14 am
Location: Racine, WI

Re: Images from the Sigma AF 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC macro

Post by Jamie D » May 23rd, 2011, 2:37 am

Jason Mintzer wrote: Looks like you got a great lens. 19mm for that timber seems awful close.
Thanks J. I wasn't handholding the camera for the timber. No worries.

User avatar
chrish
Posts: 3295
Joined: June 7th, 2010, 10:14 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX
Contact:

Re: Images from the Sigma AF 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC macro

Post by chrish » May 23rd, 2011, 7:45 am

I have read a lot of good reviews of that lens and have recommended it to several people.

Good to see some herp shots taken with it. Thanks for posting these.

User avatar
Jason Mintzer
Posts: 101
Joined: June 8th, 2010, 6:25 am
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: Images from the Sigma AF 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC macro

Post by Jason Mintzer » May 23rd, 2011, 11:13 am

Thanks J. I wasn't handholding the camera for the timber. No worries.

That makes more sense.

User avatar
justinm
Posts: 3423
Joined: June 7th, 2010, 4:26 am
Location: Illinois
Contact:

Re: Images from the Sigma AF 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC macro

Post by justinm » May 24th, 2011, 4:27 am

When I'm out with you I always think you take waaaaay too long to take your shots. Then I see your pics and see mine and think man Jamie is a great photographer.

User avatar
Nir
Posts: 220
Joined: June 7th, 2010, 5:50 pm
Location: Gatineau, QC, Canada

Re: Images from the Sigma AF 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC macro

Post by Nir » May 24th, 2011, 6:43 am

I have had this lens for a year now and I also think it is amazing!! Great all around lens!! Love that timber photo!

Post Reply