Opinions

Photography knowledge exchange.

Moderator: Scott Waters

ChrisNM

Opinions

Post by ChrisNM » June 25th, 2010, 6:59 pm

I posted a teaser over in the Rocky Mountain forum, but figured I'd get opinions here on this HDR shot. As a topic currently running points out, this was taken with what I'd lean towards being one of my worst pieces of camera equipment: my Nikkor 18-70 D70 kit lens. You'll notice in the picture that the bottom left and right corners are a little soft. I know to expect this with a wide-angle lens, but I've always found this lens to be soft, even after fiddling with my D300's focus adjustment feature, and also find it hard to get close to the subject for better composition of the following type images.

dezertwerx

Re: Opinions

Post by dezertwerx » June 25th, 2010, 9:30 pm

I think it a great looking pic. IMO

AndyO'Connor

Post by AndyO'Connor » June 25th, 2010, 9:49 pm

Considering the lens, since you couldn't get closer, it's a very nice shot, but for the reasons you mentioned, about as good as it can be with that lens i guess, if it was sharper I'd say get a little closer so the animal is more of the focus but when you start doing stacked and HDR images, I think it's all opinion, I like it either way.

Nick Scobel

Post by Nick Scobel » July 1st, 2010, 10:56 pm

Considering what you've said about the lens itself, I think this is a fantastic image. There may be a little empty space in the image, but it does a great job of illustrating this species in its habitat. I'm glad you didn't get too tight in on the animal, I made that mistake a few weeks back with the eastern subspecies.