Need critiquing on some photos please

Photography knowledge exchange.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Brandon D

Need critiquing on some photos please

Post by Brandon D »

I am entering a photo contest and I would like everybody to pick there favorite phaeogaster pic and give me some words for some improvement. I was also going to see if you all think I should use any of the other pics below that I was thinking about entering, I can enter 10 reptile pics total, but was probably going to wait for spring to see if I can get anybetter shots. you might zoom your screen out to 75% to view the photos better
Thanking you in advance
Brandon DeCavele

1.Image

2.Image

3.Image

4.Image

I was thinking about using this one as well, but I only want to pick one of the above phaeogaster shots

I can enter in 10 photos but only want to use two of them on the copperhead
was thinking about entering one of these crotaphytus shots as well

I was also thinking about these as well

and finally these but these would be in a diferent catagory and not included in the 10

KingCam

Re: Need critiquing on some photos please

Post by KingCam »

As far as the phaeogaster pics go, I like the 4th (last) one.

Lemme know when you're going out to get more photos for your contest, I'm itchin' to get back out in the field!
Schell

Post by Schell »

Hi Brandon,

What photo contest are you submitting to, if you don't mind me asking?

Please forgive me if I am incorrect, but I can't tell from the image data, I assume that you are using a point and shoot camera?

The reason why I ask, is because flash photography is tough when you're limited to a fixed (in position) flash. I would also agree with KingCam that of the 4 phaeogaster pics go #4 is the best. It is the most evenly lit. In #1 a portion of the body is clipped off to the left and bottom of the frame, Also the coils of the body that are closest to the camera are a bit over-exposed while the background is under exposed. You can try to burn and dodge this a bit in post or there are a few tricks that you can utilize in the field to get your shot more evenly lit:

You can use a diffuser to even out the harshness of the flash. There are a number of DIY solutions online for folks that have made their own diffusers out of materials from around the house to great effect. You may want to try looking up some of these. Also a large reflective disk at any photography store is inexpensive (~$20) and you can use it to bounce light to the rear of the frame. You'll probably need an assistant to hold the reflector though.

I'm not sure if these shots are in-situ or not, but if those aren't particularly good options for you, you could also move the subject to somewhere where there is some diffuse light already, like a woodland edge or in the open on a cloudy day. The mornings and evenings also work well to avoid harsh light and shadow from the mid-day sun.

I like the composition of the first collared shot also, though mind the tail of long-tailed species, they're easy to cut out of the frame - unless this was intentional. It also looks like your camera may have metered to the shadowy side of his face. So while that is properly exposed, portions of the body in direct sunlight are overexposed. In this situation, you could have tried to use you flash to fill the shadows and allowing the camera to use a faster shutter speed. Also like the reflective disks, they make large diffuser disks also that you can use to shade your subject for more even light. It is also usually effective to shoot with the sun at your back. Sometimes though, certain reflections and backlighting is a nice effect.

You might want to avoid using the second shot though. While its good behavior/personality shot, the main subject of the image (the head and face) are out of focus. It does look like the flash fired in this shot though. Using a diffuser as described above would also help to soften some of the shadows on the left side of his head.

Your other snake shots are quite nice. On the second shot of the king, you have a few harsh shadows from a nearby bush/tree? so I would favor the first one.

Good luck!

Rob
Kevin Price

Post by Kevin Price »

Brandon

I like the fourth shot as well. What Rob stated regarding using flash is correct. I don’t know what type of post processing you do on your photos, and it certainly is not a requirement to do any, but I made a couple of changes on your fourth photo because it’s easier to show you what I did then try to explain it. I sincerely hope you don’t take offense by me using your photo, I meant only to assist you.

The changes that I made took me less than one minute to complete. First off, I adjusted the white balance a little just to warm it up some. It seemed a little cool (bluish cast) to me due to the flash. Second, I burned (darkened) the bottom portion of the image and the coils of the snake that were overexposed. Third, I cropped the image some. There was a lot of empty space near the bottom right corner as well as the distracting leaves and sticks. I cropped the image and placed the snake’s eye at the top right junction according to the rule of thirds. I think it seems a little more balanced. Those changes are very common and can be done with free software, so there was no Photoshop secrets used I promise.

Contests are all about presentation. Whether it’s a photograph or showing your ’64 Pontiac GTO. Make whatever you are entering stand out from the rest.

Again, I apologize if I offended you with altering your image. I never intended to do so. I only wanted to show you how to make your good image maybe a little better.

Schell

Post by Schell »

Hey Kevin,

I think its valuable to see what can be done with ones image. I for one didn't take offense when Crocdoc took my posted kingsnake shots and made a composite image. I want people's honest opinions - if I didn't, I wouldn't have asked for them. I think anyone asking for advice or critiques shouldn't be offended by what people say when one gives it.

That being said, to the OP, please understand its a difficult and delicate task to critique ones work when they are obviously proud of what they've created. Please know, speaking for myself these comments are not intended to be hurtful, but to provide an honest assessment of what I think. To my own detriment, I am occasionally less diplomatic than I mean to, so I feel it necessary to insert that caveat, and if I offend, please know that was not my intention.

Cheers,

Rob
Brandon D

Post by Brandon D »

Cam, good to see ya back man, for sure going to have to get out this spring, from the looks of things may be startin pretty early, but you never know with our weather.

Rob, Yes I just have a simple point and shoot, I have upgraded a little bit but not much. Thank you for all the advice. You are very observant, that holbrooki was right by a big bush. I will try to put your advice to work next time in the field and I will probably invest in some of those accesories. I clearly have a lot more to learn about photography. Thank you again

Kevin, Thank you, I took no offense. That is very helpful.

Thank you guys I appreciate all the words of wisdom
chrish

Post by chrish »

I judge quite a few photo contests each year (both herp related and otherwise), so here's my gut reactions;

1.Image

- too tight (snake doesn't have enough room around it)
- exposure a bit bright on my monitor (easy fix in photoshop or similar program)
- maybe a tighter crop of this shot, focusing on the head, would be better
- debris behind head is a little distracting from the head itself
- all if the copperhead shots would benefit from a slight increase in contrast

2.Image

- snake looking away makes this less interesting

3.Image

- there is a better shot in here, you just need to crop a bit
- that clump on the left side of the body is distracting. You might be able to crop/clone some of it out.

4.Image

- this needs a better crop and a little bit of clockwise rotation
- again the clump on the left and the light stem of grass coming towards the head on the right are distracting elements

- crop out some (half?) of the vegetation on the top to bring to focus down to the snake.

- too tight
- not quite sharp enough
- a little light overall

- out of focus on the head, previous is better

- nice color saturation and contrast here
- I don't like the snake "leaving the frame"

- again, nice snake, nice color
- your angle is a bit high here
- too tight

- not sharp

- snake looking away.
- too much shadow and light (this could be fixed in photoshop by tweaking the contrast and brightness)

- this is a winner, IMHO because even though it isn't technically perfect, you have captured a great moment (innocent little girl with big angry Nerodia, the way she is looking at the snake)
- this is the kind of shot that will steal the hearts of judges, particularly if you can give it a thought provoking or funny title. "Uhh...ok, now what do I do?" or something like that might work, but funny always works better.

and finally these but these would be in a diferent catagory and not included in the 10

- not sharp. Butterfly images are common so they have to be technically perfect to get any attention

- this photo is certainly attention getting, but the spider is a little less than sharp

All of these are just my gut reactions. That isn't saying that you couldn't win with any one of them. I think the little girl with watersnake shot is you best candidate, particularly if the judges are people who know anything about watersnake personality and can read that snake's angry physiognamy.

Chris