Batteries

Photography knowledge exchange.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Norman D

Batteries

Post by Norman D »

Hello

I recently picked up a 430exii speedlite flash for my Canon. What are some of the best batteries on the market for external flashes? I don't use flash a lot but I would hate to have a flash without power when I do use it

Thanks
Norman
justinm

Re: Batteries

Post by justinm »

I have one of those, and I carry a ton of batteries with me, and I also use the big battery pack on the camera body.
crocdoc

Post by crocdoc »

I always use rechargeable batteries for my external flashes. They power up faster and are more economical in the long run. Also, the charger I have takes the same electrical cord as my camera battery charger (and several other things I own) so it makes it a good travel option as well. Make sure you have a minimum of two sets of rechargeable batteries with you at all times, too.
chrish

Post by chrish »

For rechargeables there is nothing better than Sanyo Eneloop batteries, IMHO.

Yes, they are more expensive that other rechargeables, but after you used a set for a while, you will see that they are certainly worth it. I have two sets that I have been using for years in my flash units.

The advantage they have is that they don't discharge over time like regular rechargeables. If you charge them up, six months later they are still charged. Regular rechargeables lose their charge over time. I have learned that the hard way prior to using Eneloops.

Here's some data -
http://www.stefanv.com/electronics/sanyo_eneloop.html
http://www.ppmag.com/web-exclusives/200 ... eries.html
periglenes

Post by periglenes »

Eneloop may have the edge in terms of shelf life, but that may not be the only issue to consider. I do some acoustic monitoring of bat activity and my recording equipment runs on AA batteries. I use Maha Powerex batteries because they are rated for 2700 miliamp hours, which is the highest capacity I have found for AA rechargeables. I charge all my AA's on a Lacrosse Technology charger that gives a digital readout of how much charge each battery has actually taken (not just a green light that says it is full, but the actual miliamp hours that the battery has absorbed in a charge cycle). I've had Eneloops rated for 2500 that would overcharge to about 2800 mAH, but my PowerEx batteries will often go to 3500 mAH when they are newish. In my case, shelf life isn't the issue; continuous use is. I want my recorder to run from sunset all the way to sunrise, and only the PowerEx batteries can do it. Eneloops die by about 3:00 AM. But the PowerEx batteries do lose charge as they sit on the lab bench.

Will you shoot hundreds of shots with flash in a single day, or will you shoot a few and then drop the flash in your camera bag for a few weeks? That might matter. But capacity ratings don't tell you much unless your charger tells you what the battery actually is holding. Worn out NiMH batteries that will only take 1000 mAH will still make a charger's display say the battery is "full." The Lacrosse chargers I use have a "refresh" program that can revive the capacity of worn out AA's, sometimes. But I always know which batteries I can depend on, and which I can't. The best batteries go to the recording equipment and the less reliable ones get retired to my camera bag.

Frank Hensley
Norman D

Post by Norman D »

Thanks everyone!

Rechargeable is the way I wanted to go, so the suggestions really helped
chrish

Post by chrish »

periglenes wrote:In my case, shelf life isn't the issue; continuous use is. I want my recorder to run from sunset all the way to sunrise, and only the PowerEx batteries can do it. Eneloops die by about 3:00 AM. But the PowerEx batteries do lose charge as they sit on the lab bench.
Great point Frank. If you anticipate using the batteries a lot and continually, Eneloops might not give you the best service. But if you only use your flash sporadically and not for extended photo shoots (hundreds of flash shots in a sitting), I think the Eneloops offer the storage advantage.

It might be worth looking at the new Sanyo XX batteries (basically a 2500 MAH Eneloop battery). They seem a bit steep in price, but the reputation of the Eneloops is that because they don't have to be recharged as often under occasional use, they will last longer. I've had my two sets for years and have no issues with them.

That Lacrosse Charger looks pretty cool - I may need one of those!
periglenes

Post by periglenes »

I should add that I've never had problems with self-discharge of PowerEx batteries until the latest set I bought. But some that I just purchased 2 months ago are self-discharging in 3 days or so of sitting on the shelf.... so I'm resorting to keeping them on the charger right up to time to take them out to the field.
Kari Post

Post by Kari Post »

The PowerEx Imedion batteries are excellent rechargables. They last much longer than any other I've tried, including Sanyo batteries. They offer "long lasting" batteries which hold their charge even over a long period of not being used. You can purchase them through the NatureScapes store: http://www.naturescapes.net/partnership ... 104&url=46
Damon Salceies

Post by Damon Salceies »

I shoot with Powerex and they've been great. They have higher capacity and no discharge that I've been able to test with my pulse load battery tester... even with sets that are several years old. I use an eight bay Maha charger that travels well and always keeps two of my flashes topped off with fresh power. The charger's got several options for charging that if used expeditiously prolong the life of the batteries. Anyway... my 2 cents. :beer: