Field herping macro flash???

Photography knowledge exchange.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Jerseylotte

Field herping macro flash???

Post by Jerseylotte »

Hey all,

I have a Nikon D5000, which isn't CLS compatible (i.e: no remote iTTL without an SU800, SB800 etc). I use a Tamron 90mm for my macro shots.

I'm considering buying the R1 macro system, but I'm unsure how practical it really is for my purposes though, that's where you lot come in! :D I'm off to Belize for 16 days pure herping towards the end of May, I need a setup that won't drive me crazy hiking in the jungle.

Just how heavy is it?
Is it comfortably compatible with the Tamron90?
Just how much do I want the off camera iTTL function? Should I get the SU800?

Thanks guys!!! :D
jason folt

Re: Field herping macro flash???

Post by jason folt »

I have the Tamron as well as a the R1 system so I can speak a little about this. I am fortunate enough to have the Nikon D200, which has a wireless commander, but honestly I never use it with the R1. I enjoy shooting the R1 with my SB800/900 working as the commander. I like the amount of light that comes from shooting with 3 flashes, not just two. If you are going to spend money for the R1C1 commander, I would actually recommend not getting the C1 part, and spending the extra $50 or so on getting the SB700. I haven't used one, but the Nikon flashes I have had (SB800, SB900, R1) have all been awesome, and I don't think you can go wrong them. If this had been around when I bought my SB900, I surely would have saved the money and bought it instead. It seems perfect for macro work, with a commander and slave function. The extra 50 bucks also gets you a nice speedlight that can be used for nonmacro photography, portrait work, etc and just provides you with a wider arsenal of tools that spending the money on a straight commander. The R1 lights are small and light, and honestly are the least of my worries compared to all the other camera stuff in my pack. It easily set up in a minute, and is of great benefit for photographing small herps. I would never go to the tropics without it.

Some beefs.

1. The Tamron lens extends out when focusing. If you use autofocus, the motor isn't strong enough to pull the lens back in with the two speedlights mounted on the end. You have to switch to manual and then manually retract the unit. This is a huge pain in the ass in my opinion, and will honestly have me soon upgrading to the Nikon 105 macro because the focusing mechanism is all internal. I have lived with it for 3 or 4 years though it is mostly just an annoyance.

2. The kit comes with various adapters, but none of them fit the Tamron. You have to get a Xmm - Ymm adapter to attach your unit to the lens. This was < $10 online.

I love the system though and highly recommend it!

Some Costa Rica stuff.

Not using the R1, but with on camera flash and wireless speedlight handheld. Notice still some harsh shadows.

And then I started using the R1/SB900 combination.

Jason
Jerseylotte

Post by Jerseylotte »

Thanks so much for the thorough answer Jason! :)

I only ever manual focus with my Tamron so the motor issue is no biggie for me which is handy!

I've got an SB700 in the post (anniversary present for my other half) So I guess I'll just have to borrow it to test out my options. It's definitely good to hear you say you wouldn't go without your R1 and the benefits are certainly visible in your shots there :thumb:

I can imagine carrying my camera on a sling ready to go with the tamron and the R1 attached, but what about with something like an SB700 too? Would that situation not be more comfortable with just the C1. How do you handle it?

I'll likely be caught somewhere between the macro setup and my nikkor 80-400 while hiking around, I guess we'll just have to slow it down and relax into the necessities of obsessive photography!

How do you find focusing at night? In the past I just used my headtorch to illuminate enough to get things started?

Thanks!!!
Jerseylotte

Post by Jerseylotte »

Oh! Also, what about the batteries, there are Uniross rechargeables but they're only 600's and the description suggests they might not be powerful enough for it...?
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

Have you thought about renting some equipment to try out before you buy it? Its an option we have here locally, maybe you do too?
jason folt

Post by jason folt »

So for the most part I do not carry the camera around and out with it all attached, especially in the tropics. When road cruising I will have it sitting on the seat next to me, but I just don't like having the big camera out. I am usually bending over a lot, covered in sweat, there is rain, etc. Typically, even in the tropics, you just don't see things quick enough to justify the risk and burden of leaving it out. My pack is big enough though, where I can fold the lights in, and stuff it in the top. The unit stays together, and is accessible in a few quick seconds.

I do use a flashlight or a friend holding one to light the subject up sometimes. I usually let the camera autofocus though, and all the SB900 and SB700 both have a autofocus assist illumination function that works pretty well.

I regards to batteries, I have a bunch of CR123 rechargable batteries that I carry around. They actually last quite a long time between charges.

Jason
AsydaBass

Post by AsydaBass »

jason folt wrote:So for the most part I do not carry the camera around and out with it all attached, especially in the tropics.
Jason
I practice the same. My camera hardly ever leaves the station.

A quick note on focusing is that the speedlights in the R1 system have little LED lights on the front that I find quite useful for manually focusing on a macro subject. My only complaint is that they turn off each time you take a shot, so you must turn them back on every time, but they are there and are helpful.

-Don
Jerseylotte

Post by Jerseylotte »

You guys are braver than me! I tend to have camera in hand everywhere I go, I'd rather risk rain, forego the weight and get sweat on it than miss a single shot :D

Thanks for the advice, I think I'm going to go with the R1C1 and try that out with my OH's SB700 before I go :D
jason folt

Post by jason folt »

So I always have my camera with me, I just don't walk around with it around my neck when herping.

In the tropics I typically have a dry bag on the inside of my pack, and I keep it covered in the dry bag. If I need a shot and it is raining, then the camera comes out and gets rained on.

Jason
Jerseylotte

Post by Jerseylotte »

Fair do's! Could you show me this xmm ymm adapter thingy?
mikemike

Post by mikemike »

I'm shooting the Tamron 90mm on a Nikon D7000 body, teamed up with the R1 kit as well as an SB700. The SB800, 900, and 910 all have longer 'reach' than the 700, but the 700 is plenty for macro work. I almost always manually focus, so the AF with the weight isn't an issue for me, either.

Being able to shoot the R200's wirelessly is awesome. I keep mine on the lens ring, in my backpack, so whenever I use 'em, it's just a matter of popping the ring on the lens and shooting.

This salamander from last weekend was shot in the woods as it was getting dark. It's nice being able to get even light no matter the conditions really...

Plethodon fourchensis - Fourche Mountain salamander by michaelrayspencer, on Flickr

This cave sally was shot in total darkness a ways back in a cave, and I used one of the R200's wireless off camera to light from high left, just out of the frame.

Eurycea lucifuga by michaelrayspencer, on Flickr
Jerseylotte

Post by Jerseylotte »

Well it arrived and has blown my mind!

It's just so luxurious, beautifully packaged and thought out. Great controls and results. No animal examples yet, but I'll give you those in three weeks time after Bahamas and Belize ;D