Zenscientist Registration

Herp literature forum.

Moderator: Scott Waters

chris_mcmartin

Zenscientist Registration

Post by chris_mcmartin »

To gain access to the zenscientist PDF library, one must be a registered user. However, I cannot find a way to register on their site to do so. Given that the gatekeeper page (copyright warning to which you must click "I accept") discusses the PDFs being the property of SSAR, I presume I could gain access by joining SSAR. If I do join, does that automatically grant access to zenscientist, or are there additional steps I'd have to take separate from that process?

Purpose: I'm trying to search through some archived Herpetological Review issues.
ChrisNM

Re: Zenscientist Registration

Post by ChrisNM »

I've gone through similar recently as I had my hard drive crash late last year and lost emails received from SSAR pertaining to accepted notes I'd submitted for Herp. Review. JSTOR doesn't list Herp Review and I'm no longer a simple 20 minute drive to UNM for access to their library, let alone going down to UTSW or UT-Arlington to manually dig through either publication (both are at least 45 minute drives in good traffic within this lovely network of DFW traffic).

You must be, at the least, an associate member = subscribed to SSAR to gain access to Herp. Review. If subscribed as a regular member, you have access to both J-Herp and Herp Review. You can elect to subscribe either receive hardcopies or on-line. Hardcopy subscription you obviously receive actual bound copies of J-Herp and Herp. Review. Online membership only gives access to PDF version and at a small discount (something like $5). Hardcopy membership also gives on-line pdf access.

http://www.zenscientist.com/index.php/s ... tions-1002
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

Aha...that helps tremendously. Thanks!
Robert Hansen

Post by Robert Hansen »

An EndNote file of the contents of Herpetological Review is now available on ZenScientist.com. This will be of great use to anyone looking to publish a geographic distribution note or a natural history note. Also SSAR has decided to make all but the last five years of Herpetological Review available open access. Over the next couple of weeks these files will be made available at the same location as the EndNote index:
http://www.zenscientist.com/index.php/f ... ar_public/
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

Robert Hansen wrote:An EndNote file of the contents of Herpetological Review is now available on ZenScientist.com. This will be of great use to anyone looking to publish a geographic distribution note or a natural history note. Also SSAR has decided to make all but the last five years of Herpetological Review available open access. Over the next couple of weeks these files will be made available at the same location as the EndNote index:
That should help a lot of us out tremendously.

I noticed the membership is only for the calendar year, so I thought, "Well, I may not get my money's worth only being a member for the last 4 months of this year," but lo and behold, I got the year's first two issues of Herpetological Review in the mail last week! I assumed SSAR wouldn't worry about that, but I'm glad they did! :thumb:
Robert Hansen

Post by Robert Hansen »

chris_mcmartin wrote:
Robert Hansen wrote:An EndNote file of the contents of Herpetological Review is now available on ZenScientist.com. This will be of great use to anyone looking to publish a geographic distribution note or a natural history note. Also SSAR has decided to make all but the last five years of Herpetological Review available open access. Over the next couple of weeks these files will be made available at the same location as the EndNote index:
That should help a lot of us out tremendously.

I noticed the membership is only for the calendar year, so I thought, "Well, I may not get my money's worth only being a member for the last 4 months of this year," but lo and behold, I got the year's first two issues of Herpetological Review in the mail last week! I assumed SSAR wouldn't worry about that, but I'm glad they did! :thumb:
And issue #3 should go out in the mail on 23 September, but is already available online for SSAR members at ZenScientist.com.