Moderator: Scott Waters

Biker Dave

Texas Field Guide

Post by Biker Dave »

So what's the best fg for Texas?
The Real Snake Man

Re: Texas Field Guide

Post by The Real Snake Man »

There's a lot to choose from: for snakes, go with Texas Snakes: Identification, Distribution, and Natural History (Werler/Dixon). It's not a field guide, but it's the tome on the subject. You won't regret it.

-Gene
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

The smaller "field guide" version of the bigger book, as well as other volumes covering other animals, can be found here (among other places; I was just trying to find a list of all the titles in the series):

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/?series_id=515360
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

I gather there is no one single volume that covers all the Texas herps in one book ?
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

Not really a field guide--more of a desk reference (in my opinion): Amphibians and Reptiles of Texas: With Keys, Taxonomic Synopses, Bibliography, and Distribution Maps

There's also the "sort-of" set of the Bartletts' A Field Guide to Texas Reptiles and Amphibians (which, despite the title, doesn't cover snakes) and Tennant's Field Guide to Texas Snakes. Both are a good size and paperback. I have well-worn earlier editions I used in the 90s. These editions were published in the mid-2000s so the taxonomy may not be cutting-edge but you'll still be able to identify the stuff you find.

If you shop Amazon Smile (smile.amazon.com) and search for SWCHR a (small) portion of your purchase price will support SWCHR without adding to your bill. :thumb:
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

Thanks Chris .... especially on the tip about amazon smile. I have all my purchases go to the AZ Herpetological Association.
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

Biker Dave wrote:Thanks Chris .... especially on the tip about amazon smile. I have all my purchases go to the AZ Herpetological Association.
Also a worthy cause. :thumb:
blacktara

Post by blacktara »

I dont know about later editions, but Tennant's second edition, though almost twenty years old, is a worthwhile pickup. It's got info you wouldnt expect to see in such a guide