It is currently November 15th, 2018, 8:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Amphibians, Reptiles, and Their Conservation by Marty Crump
PostPosted: October 2nd, 2010, 10:51 pm 

Amphibians, Reptiles, and Their Conservation by Marty Crump
2002. Shoe String Press: North Haven, CT.

Covers the basics of what makes frogs frogs, lizards lizards, and so on with a few species accounts that go into some detail. The book then delves into what behaviors make certain species more vulnerable than others. Examples include large body size, poor dispersal, and colonial nesting habits. Some of the ways reptiles and amphibians contribute to our lives are listed in the Why should we care chapter. The author goes into some detail regarding the most important ways we endanger populations of herps. Finally, a compact explanation of major conservation strategies is given. I actually thought this was the best part of the book, even though it was very short. If you know your students have trouble paying attention to long winded passages, this chapter could easily be photocopied and it could be read and understood by almost anyone in a few minutes.

Keep in mind that this book is designed for school-age children. It addresses matters on the macro-level and doesn't go into the deepest details of every subject. Nonetheless, it is quite informative and is definitely a good jumping off point for students to do further research from. I also think adults (like me) who are interested in herps but not well read on conservation strategies will learn or at least be reminded of a thing or two. I know I learned a few things.