Good guides for the Phillippines

Herp literature forum.

Moderator: Scott Waters

AlanER

Good guides for the Phillippines

Post by AlanER »

Hello all,
I may be taking a trip to the Phillippines next year. I was wondering if anybody knows any good reptile guides or websites for the native and invasive species listed throughout the islands. Thanks alot fellow herpers!
justinm

Re: Good guides for the Phillippines

Post by justinm »

I have some friends who've spent a lot of time in the Phillipines doing research, I'll get their approval to give out their email addresses to you and get back with more information.
AlanER

Post by AlanER »

Thanks a lot! I appreciate the help.
-EJ

Post by -EJ »

This is the closests I think you can get... http://cgi.ebay.com/McCoy-REPTILES-o-t- ... 0699053511

Contact the seller for better ideas.

Email me at [email protected] ... I have one contact who spends a little time on the islands who might help you also.
AlanER wrote:Hello all,
I may be taking a trip to the Phillippines next year. I was wondering if anybody knows any good reptile guides or websites for the native and invasive species listed throughout the islands. Thanks alot fellow herpers!
Hans Breuer (twoton)

Post by Hans Breuer (twoton) »

It's P H I L I P P I N E S, actually.
-EJ

Post by -EJ »

Did you understand what the writer was asking? I suspect you did. The message was sent... received and I'm pretty sure... understood. We're not writing novels. Most of the time we sit down at the 'puter and spit out a question sometimes hitting a key twice and sometimes hitting the wrong key.

I'm gonna guess you didn't mean to sound that arrogant but if you did you've joined a not to elite group.

We all have our little... and not so little pet quirks... mine is rude anal retentive control freaks on the internet... and elsewhere.

(no... I did not run this through my grammar or spell checker but I think the msg. is clear and understandable)
Hans Breuer (twoton) wrote:It's P H I L I P P I N E S, actually.
ADCIII

Post by ADCIII »

-EJ wrote:Did you understand what the writer was asking? I suspect you did. The message was sent... received and I'm pretty sure... understood. We're not writing novels. Most of the time we sit down at the 'puter and spit out a question sometimes hitting a key twice and sometimes hitting the wrong key.

I'm gonna guess you didn't mean to sound that arrogant but if you did you've joined a not to elite group.

We all have our little... and not so little pet quirks... mine is rude anal retentive control freaks on the internet... and elsewhere.

(no... I did not run this through my grammar or spell checker but I think the msg. is clear and understandable)
I too noticed that it was misspelled twice in the first two posts and was going to ckeck to make sure I really knew how to spell it. When reading Hans' post I got the feeling that it was just a helpful hint for someone going there for the first time , as it is quite easily misspelled. Art
-EJ

Post by -EJ »

I noticed the misspelled and didn't think it was important to bring to the authors attention. If it was a helpful hint why was it presented in such a manner.

Something along the lines of 'I think you might have misspelled Philippines'... OMG... I sound like 'THEM'.
ADCIII wrote:
-EJ wrote:Did you understand what the writer was asking? I suspect you did. The message was sent... received and I'm pretty sure... understood. We're not writing novels. Most of the time we sit down at the 'puter and spit out a question sometimes hitting a key twice and sometimes hitting the wrong key.

I too noticed that it was misspelled twice in the first two posts and was going to ckeck to make sure I really knew how to spell it. When reading Hans' post I got the feeling that it was just a helpful hint for someone going there for the first time , as it is quite easily misspelled. Art
Hans Breuer (twoton)

Post by Hans Breuer (twoton) »

1. I wouldn't have said anything if there had been only one misspelling. In fact, I probably wouldn't even have said anything about the two misspellings. But the OT is visiting the Phils, and I think it's helpful to know how to spell the name of countries you've visiting, if only for the unlikely occasion you get thrown in jail there. Or need to fill out a visa application.

2. I wrote it the way I did because the difference is easier to tell than if you just write "Philippines" in regular letters. After all, there's an awful lot of i's and l's and p's in there that are easily misread with the naked eye.

3. Yes, we all have our little idiosyncrasies. But spelling rules, as surprising as it might sound, are there to facilitate communication. Think about it before you sneer. vot eef wee wur too spil avareethin tha wey we lyke eet? Communication chaos would ensue.

3. a) There's a spellchecker function to make 3. easier. Even I, king of anal retentive control freaks, use it all the time.

That said, I apologize sorry for messing up the threat. Didn't know it would cause such a to-do. Back to topic, ye scurvy rats! :D
AlanER

Post by AlanER »

Thanks for the tips guys.

And its ok, I misspelled a word. He corrected me and all is well. No need to argue over something so trivial. My feelings were not hurt. Lol
-EJ

Post by -EJ »

No argument on this end...

btw... just came across another guide in my library... Guide to Philippine Flora and Fauna, Vol 10, Angel C. Alcala. 1986.