Orangethroat Darter Etheostoma spectabile
ThatFrogGuy

Re: ID

Post by ThatFrogGuy »

thanks!
ThatFrogGuy

Post by ThatFrogGuy »

Couple more. Are these darters the same species?

Fathead minnow?

No idea on this thing...it was monsterous, about 6 inches
VICtort

Post by VICtort »

Dear FrogGuy,

you make it a real challenge, maybe not for Andy who is usually spot on, but especially for us west coasters, a little locality data would be helpful...I think your large one is a sucker of some kind, maybe Andy will know it? Where did you find/photograph it?

I love these ID challenges, but without locality data, some are difficult. thanks for posting, Vic
ThatFrogGuy

Post by ThatFrogGuy »

All were photographed in a medium sized (15 feet across) stream in Southern Indiana.
Jason B

Post by Jason B »

Looks like more orangethroat darters. The minnow is a Creek Chub - Semotilus atromaculatus and the sucker is a Hog Sucker - Hypentelium nigricans.

-Jb
Andy Avram

Post by Andy Avram »

I think VICtort gives me a little too much credit, but I appreciate the sentiment.

I agree with Jason that the other darters are all Orange-throat and the last fish is a Northern Hog Sucker, but I don't agree on the middle fish ID. Creek Chubs have a different body and head shape. Nor do they have that diffused black markings across the top half of their side. Small minnows are not easy IDs, and I am not sure on this one, but the shape and especially the dark markings, suggest it is a Luxilus shiner, of which the only one in S. Indiana would be the Striped Shiner Luxilus chrysocephalus.

If you don't have it already the Peterson Field Guide to Freshwater Fishes was just updated in 2011 and is the best US resource for freshwater fish ID out there. Also, there is the NANFA (North American Native Fishes Association) who has a very active forum and some top notch people for fish ID.

Andy

p.s. Jason, you never confirmed or denied that last Lamprey ID you quizzed us on in the other thread.
Jason B

Post by Jason B »

Small creek chubs can vary greatly in pattern but I've noticed many have an orangish tinge to their fins like that specimen. I attributed the weird head shape to distortion and position of the shadow. That being said I concede the minnow very well could be Luxilus! Funny how you can hold a fish in your hand and recognize it instantly but a photo of the same animal can be tricky to pin down.

Andy, forgive me for not responding sooner regarding the lamprey. It is indeed I. fossor.