i want to cry

Hang with a fishy crowd.

Moderator: Scott Waters

muskiemagnet

i want to cry

Post by muskiemagnet »

i've mentioned in past posts of lake poygan in wisconsin. excellent pike fishing- gone. shallow lake, low water levels(drought), high temps, big pike dying. my friend found two to three hundred in the 25-48 inch class dead on shore in one small area.

it's going to take twenty years to recover that. pour one on the curb for the homeys.

-ben(crying)
Chris Smith

Re: i want to cry

Post by Chris Smith »

This is a bummer Ben. It is happening in MN too. Just keep in mind that many of the more popular game fish (Pike, Muskie, Walleye) are often not native to these shallow lakes (stocked by DNR - Fisheries). I am sure DNR will re-stock these lakes with multiple age classes of fish getting the fishery going in 5-10 years give or take.

-Chris
muskiemagnet

Post by muskiemagnet »

yea, i hear you, but it's just a bummer to see all those 45+ inch fish die. it's a strong fishery, so they will bounce back. lots of forage, and historically lots of big fish. i don't think stocking will be necessary. the lake is part of a large river system. there will be fish to take their place from in the river and the adjacent(deeper) lake butte des morts. so far, it's only poygan that has fish dying.

WE NEED RAIN!!!!!

-ben
gbin

Post by gbin »

And yet I hear from friends and family that Lake Superior, huge as it is, is nonetheless way up this year from rain in various areas draining into it. So many weather extremes, now, even some folks here in TX are starting to think maybe global warming is real and isn't such a good thing. (There are of course still plenty of deniers, though.)

I'm making a trip up to Lake of the Woods toward the end of August; been updating my walleye gear lately in eager anticipation of it. :D I wonder what the water level is like there? Do you know, Chris?

Gerry
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

gbin wrote:And yet I hear from friends and family that Lake Superior, huge as it is, is nonetheless way up this year from rain in various areas draining into it. So many weather extremes, now, even some folks here in TX are starting to think maybe global warming is real and isn't such a good thing. (There are of course still plenty of deniers, though.)

I'm making a trip up to Lake of the Woods toward the end of August; been updating my walleye gear lately in eager anticipation of it. :D I wonder what the water level is like there? Do you know, Chris?

Gerry

Gerry,

I do not know personally. Northern MN has been hit pretty hard by heavy rains in early summer though. Here is a website that may be able to answer your questions-

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/areas/fisher ... evels.html

-Chris
gbin

Post by gbin »

Perfect! Thanks, Amigo!

Gerry