SC shark fishing

Hang with a fishy crowd.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Mattlesnake King

SC shark fishing

Post by Mattlesnake King »

Here is a SC blacktip that took some cownose ray.

VICtort

Re: SC shark fishing

Post by VICtort »

Educate this west coaster about your target species...I know you East coasters have quite a few regulations pertaining to some species of sharks. Is this a desireable species to eat? Do you eat them? Using cow nose rays for baits seems like a lot of work, but I woud think a piece of bait would last all night or until you get bit by the shark. Is cownose ray the bait of choice, or just something you happened to have? What other species do you catch? Bulls? Bonnetheads? Are you in the ocean or sound, tidal waters? Do you fish for reds and other fish ,or pretty much just sharks?

I have always wanted to visit coastal Carolinas, and fishing would be the primary reason, and maybe some herping too. Somebody once posted some of the most amazing photos, they found a culvert that drained an inland tidal pond, and the alligators would set up when the tide was going out, and eat the mullet delivered to them by the outgoing tide. They were my all time favorite photos. I have wanted to visit ever since, you live in an interesting part of the USA for sure. Thanks, Vic
RCampbell

Post by RCampbell »

That looks like an Atlantic Sharpnose, not a Blacktip....
Mattlesnake King

Post by Mattlesnake King »

RCampbell wrote:That looks like an Atlantic Sharpnose, not a Blacktip....
Definitely not a sharp nose. That would have been a world record sharpie as it was 5 feet long. Some blacktips that hang out in sounds and bays don't really have much in the way of black fin tips. If you would have said Dusky or Sandbar I would be a little more interested in debate. Way off base with sharpnose though.

This is a sharpie:
Notice the white spots and "sharp" nose.

Victort,
I typed a lengthy reply but was one of the lost posts. I will get back to you soon.

Matt K
pete

Post by pete »

it does look like a sandbar to me, the pectoral and dorsal seem to line up like a sandbar. i thought blacktips pectorals were further back on the body. i WILL defer to your id as i have never caught a blacktip,just sandbars,duskies and one sand tiger. fun stuff off the beach! :thumb:
Herpetologist115

Post by Herpetologist115 »

I have a couple of questions about shark fishing:
How long would that Shark or any Shark take to get to shore? It seems like it would be a heck of a fight!
Also how do you take the hook out? Wouldn't try to bite you?
Nice Fish!! I wish we had them in Utah!

-Luke