Fish Parasites/Sores

Hang with a fishy crowd.

Moderator: Scott Waters

The Jake-Man

Fish Parasites/Sores

Post by The Jake-Man »

A couple days ago I was fishing in a farm pond in Southern Pennsylvania, and caught a number of bluegill that had these red bumps. I was just wondering if anybody had seen these before, or had any insight on what caused them.
Sorry for crappy pictures, all I had was my phone.
VICtort

Re: Fish Parasites/Sores

Post by VICtort »

Yes, I have seen the same or similar. Fish (like most vertebrates) are plagued and host a variety of parasites. I suspect those sores may be anchor worm...if you look at the sores carefully while the fish is in water ,i.e. an aquarium, you may see an opaque 1/4" or so filament hanging out of each sore. They can be removed by gently pulling with tweezers, and you will see the hooked/anchors that pull out on the end that was inbedded in the flesh. The red sore is a reaction to the worm. They are common, and not to be feared, it does not effect the palatability of the fish etc. However, like many parasites, they can be overwhelming if conditions are just so, as in an aquarium...but a few on a "wild" fish are not a large concern. Some people just freak out at the idea of parasites on/in fish, but they are normal and common, "get over it!", I say.

It could be any of several other parasites also...maybe Gerry or some aquaculturalist/aquarist will know?

Vic
VICtort

Post by VICtort »

Looking again at the fins I see some encysted objects, I think some mussels?clams parasitize fish (not common here, but common in the east?), and they may be part of the mussel (shell fish/bivalve) life cycle. Anyone know, confirm? ...or it may be multiple parasites? Some within the fins, others in the lateral flesh. Vic
The Jake-Man

Post by The Jake-Man »

Thanks. I didn't notice any of the filaments you described, and the fish seemed quite healthy otherwise. I have, however, noticed a parasite similar to an anchor worm on an immature red drum I caught in the Chesapeake. Do these parasites frequent brackish water as well?
VICtort

Post by VICtort »

I don't know, in fact a common "cure" for some parasites is to increase the salinity in an aquarium. Anchor worm is a general "catch all" name for a number of organisms, given the legendary adaptability/diversity of parasites, I would not be surprised to hear of fresh, brackish, and salt water varieties. Copepods are marvelously diverse, and they seem to infest virtually every aquatic environment and a wide variety of fish, they too could be the culprits. You should have fun in invertebrate zoology or parasitology given your apparent interest...Vic
The Jake-Man

Post by The Jake-Man »

Well, I plan to study wildlife and fisheries sciences, so there will probably be some mention of parasites thrown in there somewhere.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Might be VHS. Not sure if it known from your area. Trematodes are also a common parasite in fishes and amphibians. So is Ranavirus.

-Chris