I know nothing and need help...

A lot of field herpers seem to go fishing, or maintain aquariums, as much as they do herp! Any and all things fish are welcome in this forum.

Moderator: Scott Waters

brick911

I know nothing and need help...

Post by brick911 » November 2nd, 2010, 12:17 pm

I am a fishing dunce. I take my boys out for whatever they want to do for their birthday. My older son is in September and always wants to go herping, so that's not a problem. My younger one is November 17th. He wants to go fishing. I'm sorry fisherman, but I hate fishing. haha. That said, I want to do what my kid wants for the day. I am in the Philly area and am willing to drive 90 minutes to fish. I would go pick up a Batman rod from Walmart or something. I don't care what he catches, just as long as he has a decent chance to reel a few fish in. Can I even fish at this time of year up here? Any advice, tips would be appreciated. Either that or I'm going to one of those lame pay as you fish farms. Thanks!
Bob

Andy Avram

Re: I know nothing and need help...

Post by Andy Avram » November 2nd, 2010, 12:42 pm

Growing up my dad always got a bunch of worms, threw a size 12 hook (this is important because the hook is pretty small) and a bobber on and took us out for bluegill. You usually catch fish fairly often, granted you are not likely to get anything big but you are just going for the kid to catch something and catching ANYTHING normally makes them happy.

I would look into local parks with ponds legal for fishing. You will be hard pressed to find any pond that isn't stocked with Bluegill and other sunfish species. You may even get a small bass. If that doesn't work, any slower section of a larger river should have a decent population of pan fish and you are likely to catch other random river fish (which in my opinion are just as fun to catch as the gamefish).

Lastly, when you bait the hook have as little of the worm hanging away from the hook as possible, otherwise the fish will just pull off the bait without getting hooked.

Andy

millside

Post by millside » November 2nd, 2010, 1:12 pm

pick up some night crawlers or garden worms,
#6 eagle claw hooks
some medium bobbers.
don't get fancy,
stop at any pond where you see bobbers hanging from trees. that means someone fishes there.

he doesn't need a license, you would if you use a pole.
don't get fancy, just catch and release all the sunnies he wants to catch.

Tim Borski

Post by Tim Borski » November 3rd, 2010, 4:54 am

stop at any pond where you see bobbers hanging from trees.
Pretty sound advise.
Good luck.
Tim

brick911

Post by brick911 » November 3rd, 2010, 6:03 am

So the weather won't effect much than if I'm just trying to catch whatever?

millside

Post by millside » November 3rd, 2010, 6:14 am

weather means everything, I mean not for the fish, Just your kids complaining if its rainy and cold. :lol:

brick911

Post by brick911 » November 3rd, 2010, 7:41 am

Very true. :lol: I can carve out a 100 mile radius though, and go wherever its warmest and has the least chance of rain.

brick911

Post by brick911 » November 10th, 2010, 6:12 am

Ok... I'm almost set to go for tomorrow. I already run into enough LE in NJ while herping, so I bought a two-day license so I can fish with him and help him when he needs it. I have a main spot mapped out, and some back up spots that I pulled off the NJ website. There's actually a lot of good info out there... at least for someone as ignorant as me. I'll let y'all know how we do. Thanks for the help!

Bob

brick911

Post by brick911 » November 11th, 2010, 4:10 pm

Well, it's official... I hated fishing. Now I really hate it. Thanks for the tips guys. See below for pics of all the fish I caught today.

brick911

Post by brick911 » November 11th, 2010, 4:10 pm

:sleep:

millside

Post by millside » November 12th, 2010, 8:16 am

haha, could be the time of year.
there is a spot in pa, that has a river running next to it. ;)
kate caught a 3 pound brown trout all by herself in there.

brick911

Post by brick911 » November 12th, 2010, 3:12 pm

I know what you're hinting at. I got my NJ two-day license and was going where it was warmer. We had a good time anyway. I'll post pics. We caught a turtle, but by hand, not hook.

Gyri

Post by Gyri » November 17th, 2010, 8:32 pm

brick911 wrote:Well, it's official... I hated fishing. Now I really hate it. Thanks for the tips guys. See below for pics of all the fish I caught today.
Bob, I don't know anybody who actually knows how to fish but who also hates fishing. ;)

brick911

Post by brick911 » November 18th, 2010, 8:59 am

Well, technically I skunk out on about half my herping trips in the Pine Barrens, but I still love it. Some people might just enjoy sitting around with their rod in their hand all day. :|