Mottled Sculpin aka Muddler Minnow

A lot of field herpers seem to go fishing, or maintain aquariums, as much as they do herp! Any and all things fish are welcome in this forum.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Carl Brune

Mottled Sculpin aka Muddler Minnow

Post by Carl Brune » November 14th, 2010, 8:57 pm

I remember someone asking about the Mottled Sculpin (Cottus bairdi) a while back. I turned one up today -- salamander hunting bycatch -- and took a couple pics:

They get at least 50% larger than this one. It turns out these are pretty rare in southeast Ohio, I suspect due to a lack of cold water. This one was found in a tiny headwater stream, at the bottom of a steep-walled ravine.

In late April last year, I found some of their eggs, laid on the bottom of a submerged rock:

Here's a couple of amphibians seen today (can't resist), near where the sculpin was found:

Pseudotriton ruber

Gyrinophilus porphyriticus

Andy Avram

Re: Mottled Sculpin aka Muddler Minnow

Post by Andy Avram » November 15th, 2010, 7:43 am

One of my favorite fish to find. They are supposed to be in my corner of the state but I have yet to find one here. As for SE Ohio, there are large populations from Hocking County south along the glacial boundary.

Nice salamanders by the way, I have failed to find an adult Red this year, but plenty of larvae.

Andy