Fishing a small Missouri stream for smallmouth bass

Hang with a fishy crowd.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Gary2sons

Fishing a small Missouri stream for smallmouth bass

Post by Gary2sons »

We went to this stream a couple times last year. Not very deep water but lots of fish!

Herpfriend and my sons fishing showing the stream

Smallmouth bass. This is what we are after.

Nice one showing what bait I used to catch it. We always to catch and release so it is a challenge not to let them swallow the hook

Male longear sunfish are also fun to catch plus they are beautiful fish!

My youngest son with a nice fish on

My other son catching a fresh water drum

We catch a lot this size but still fun

Another drum

Very exciting to hook into this channel catfish, thought I had a monster smallmouth!

That is me and it probably went over 6 pounds, huge head for a catfish that size!

I will close this long fishing post with a couple bass. The top one is a spotted bass and of course the bottum one a nice chunky smallmouth!

Really a lot of fun to fish these small streams. Amazing what size fish you can catch along with the many species. Sometimes you think there is no way there are any fish in a certain stretch of water. Under rocks and root balls is where they hide. Just takes some effort to get them to bite.

Thanks for looking!

Gary
BillMcGighan

Re: Fishing a small Missouri stream for smallmouth bass

Post by BillMcGighan »

That is one of the best types of fishing, ever, Gary:
Warm summer days, clear water, easy wading gravel bars, light to medium tackle, a variety of species, super fishing partners ..... Great post for a snow cover yard.
gretzkyrh4

Post by gretzkyrh4 »

Great series of shots. Smallmouth bass were my favorite fish to catch growing up in the northeast. Makes me wish I still lived in their range (well except for the winter weather).

Chris
Dell Despain

Post by Dell Despain »

Jeeze Gary, how could those Bass resist biat as nice as those tiny Lobster you're throwing to them?
I'll bet that Cat thought a 5 star restaurant was swimming by when he saw the bait you were casting come into view.

Sweeeeeet. :thumb:

Fresh water Drum I've never caught before, do you know if they taste good? Salt water Drum is not recommended table fare.

-Dell
Gary2sons

Post by Gary2sons »

BillMcGighan wrote:That is one of the best types of fishing, ever, Gary:
Warm summer days, clear water, easy wading gravel bars, light to medium tackle, a variety of species, super fishing partners ..... Great post for a snow cover yard.
Thanks Bill, I agree!

Gretzkyrh4-- Thanks, smallmouth fishing is some of the best!

Dell--
Dell Despain wrote:Jeeze Gary, how could those Bass resist biat as nice as those tiny Lobster you're throwing to them?
I'll bet that Cat thought a 5 star restaurant was swimming by when he saw the bait you were casting come into view.

Sweeeeeet. :thumb:

Fresh water Drum I've never caught before, do you know if they taste good? Salt water Drum is not recommended table fare.

-Dell
Thanks Dell--I thought being a fisherman you would like this post! Just wish more people would post here!

I tried drum once and it had a rather distinct taste which I didn't care for. Like a lot of fish if fried with a lot of batter and some beer not that bad! :lol:

Gary
kcmatt

Post by kcmatt »

I have to admit, this is my first time visiting the "new" fishing forum. I actually didn't even know it had been re-created. Glad to see this great post, Gary. I love me some smallie action, haven't done it AT ALL since coming to MO (except a time or two in SD). In IA, I would do it almost as much as trout. I need to get down your way and see if I can't fool a few of them with feathers. Thanks for the post!