Anyone here lobster?

Hang with a fishy crowd.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Joseph S.

Anyone here lobster?

Post by Joseph S. »

I was seriously considering getting my card last year but decided the logistics of going out at night(finding someone willing to) were going to be problematic. Would love to hear some stories!
herpseeker1978

Re: Anyone here lobster?

Post by herpseeker1978 »

We used to get them when they were in season when we were spearfishing in Hawaii:
Spiny Lobster

Here are some other things we would get:
Octopus
Blue-spined Unicorn Fish
Josh
Tim Borski

Post by Tim Borski »

Josef, I posted viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1303 in July of 2010.

I meant to post the 2011 outing but somehow never did. :| Here's a few pics from last July.

The ride at my ramp.

Here's what they look like on the move after dark...

...and in the skiff.

My wife and two boys were out of town this past year and couldn't join me. Here's the two people I tricked into coming along.

Herpseeker, that octopus is cool! I see lots of other critters while shining for bugs after dark. In order of frequency: snook, bonefish, crabs, seahorses, asst'd tropical fish, etc...

'hope everyone has a great 2012!

Tim
monklet

Post by monklet »

Must be nice eatin' there baby! :)
SurfinHerp

Post by SurfinHerp »

Hi Joseph,
I've been snorkeling for lobster for a decade or so now. Over the years I've scouted almost every shallow reef between La Jolla and Carlsbad. You don't need a boat or scuba gear, and you don't have to go out at night. Just have to go when the waves are minimal and the tide is right.
Keep in mind that nearly all of the legal-sized lobster in accessible spots get taken in the first week of the season, especially on opening night if the conditions are decent. After the first week, I go to more remote spots that have way less pressure. Sometimes I go back to the easy spots in January or February to see if any short lobsters grew a bit, or if large ones moved in from offshore. I recommend scouting out spots in August and September when the water's warm and the waves are flat. Then go back to good spots as soon as the season opens and conditions allow.
I'd be glad to take you out with me if you're in SD one of these days. Just need a license and a tiny swell.

Here's my most recent lobster from Encinitas in October:

Good luck out there,

Jeff