Let's play a game...

All things winged.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Hunter-MX

Let's play a game...

Post by Hunter-MX »

Here is a picture I took yesterday at one of my hangouts. See if you can beat me on total number of species in one picture...

Great blue Heron
Wood Storks
White Ibis
Roseate Spoonbill
Northern Jacana
Blue wing Teal
American Coot
Brown Pelican
Laughing Gull
Neotropic Cormorant
Snowy Egret
Black bellied Whistling Ducks

A total of 12 species. If I had been thinking about the contest I could have backed up 10 steps and included:

Rusty Egret
Moor Hen
Tri-colored Heron
Spot breasted Sandpiper
Unknown Plover
Black necked Stilt
and a Vermillion Fly catcher which would have had me at 19. But it is just 12.

Someone show me up!
chrish

Re: Let's play a game...

Post by chrish »

That's easy,....there are over 10,000 species within this field of view...

:lol: :lol:

I could probably get more if I made up bird names too.... :lol:

Rusty Egret = Reddish Egret
Moor Hen = Common Gallinulle
Spot breasted Sandpiper = Spotted Sandpiper

I usually try not to photograph dozens of species together. That's an interesting challenge.

OK, looking at what I have access to online right now, how about

Black-tailed Godwit, Bar-tailed Godwit, Great Knot, and Curlew Sandpiper

This pond had hundreds of Redheads, but also had Lesser Scaup, Gadwall, Northern Pintail, Laughing Gull, Mallard and probably a few other overlooked species.

I know I must have a 10+ species photo somewhere at home.

Chris
Andy Avram

Post by Andy Avram »

Chris,

I just see Africa, Antartica and a little bit of Eurasia in that picture. I am going to guess there is only about 4,563 species of birds in that picture.
monklet

Post by monklet »

Here's as good as I could do before I read your list... of course it's a little easier if you're the one who took the pic so. Might help if at least part of the frame was in focus. Anyway, fun game, maybe we could improve on it. One thing would be to NOT publish the actual species visible in the pic until everyone has had a reasonable chance to play.

Brown Pelican
Double-crested Cormorant? Ok, pics just not good enough to discern Neotropic vs. DC
Gull sp.? It's a gull, that's as good as you can do in the pics
American Coot
Wood Stork
Roseate Spoonbill
White Ibis
Great Blue Heron
Black-bellied Whistling Duck? Sure looks like those the left center.
Blue-winged Teal
Tundra Swan? - bird at top edge of salicornia in middle of frame. Wild guess but just looks swan like albeit too small
Stohlgren

Post by Stohlgren »

I think the point of the contest is to take your own picture that has more species in it than the one posted by the OP.

Here are a couple from this weekend:
Sanderling, Dunlin, Ring-billed Gull, Laughing Gull, Forster's tern, and Royal tern.

Not sure I know what all is in this shot
Double-crested cormorant, laughing gull, ring-billed gull, willet, Forster's tern, looks like there is a ruddy turnstone and maybe a sanderling too.
Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Very cool shot Will. Man that must be an insane place to just site and watch birds. I think I live in the wrong country.
Hunter-MX

Post by Hunter-MX »

You guys are a little mean spirited sometimes :( :cry:

Actually the picture is in focus, it is Photobuckets compression that knocks it out like that. We have really slow internet connections down here and I can't wait 5 or more minutes for each picture I upload, so I have to go to a lower resolution.

I will be more careful to have my book open when doing the names... although the egret and moorhen are valid in my book. :roll:

Swan!? That's a coconut with a cormorant swimming in front of it. Which, by the way, according to my book puts the neotropic as the only cormorant found here. But then again birds don't read the books do they?

I like the duck picture if I could just see them better. Could use it to ID ducks in the future...

I LOVE that first shorebird shot Stohlgren!

Brendan, sometimes I feel the same way. But I mostly think it is better here...
J-Miz

Post by J-Miz »

Hunter- sweet shot. Must be a fun place to visit :) And bird names change all the time. Common gallinules used to be called common moorhens. Perhaps your other bird names were used in days past. This is how it works: birding is pretty popular. Authors create field guides. Many ornithologists are authors. These orni-authors keep changing bird names so you will have buy each revised edition. Once dragonflying and tree-watching become more popular, authors can rename everything and make you buy their updated guides, too. I say keep your field guide....the birds stay the same, only the names change!

Andy- you beat me to it! I don't even know if there are that many in there...

Chris--I want that pond in my backyard.