Some birds from costa rica

All things winged.

Moderator: Scott Waters

millside

Some birds from costa rica

Post by millside »

I took a trip with my wife and we saw some nice birds.
Amazon Kingfisher
Great Tinamou
Montezuma Oropendola
Gray-necked Wood-Rail
highlight of our trip, Great Green Macaws
Rufous-tailed Jacamar
Golden-hooded Tanager
Chestnut-mandibled Toucan
chrish

Re: Some birds from costa rica

Post by chrish »

You saw Golden-hooded Tanager and Rufous-tailed Jacamar and the macaws were the highlight?
millside

Post by millside »

by now, you should know I am not in your birding league yet. so yes, the big green tweety bird was my highlight :lol:

although that tanager was quite spectacular.
and besides, I rely on you super birders to tell me what is always my best find.
I was quite mad that I missed photos of a green ibis walking down the trail.
Andy Avram

Post by Andy Avram »

Well I was going to say that the Macaw would have been high on my list had I seen one (I did get the Tanager on my trip though), but all the birds you posted are awesome birds. I also think the Green Ibis, pictures or not, would have been a fun find.

Andy
chrish

Post by chrish »

Actually, the Great Tinamou is probably the coolest bird you saw from my perspective. Tinamous are generally a tough bird to see well.
Harpy

Post by Harpy »

Nice pics. That macaw species is quite localized - good bird for sure. ALL of them are "good" birds, but the jacamar and tanager are easy. The macaws are not, and the Tinamou is not an easy one to see.

Thanks for sharing!

Greg
AsydaBass

Post by AsydaBass »

Harpy wrote:That macaw species is quite localized - good bird for sure. ALL of them are "good" birds, but the jacamar and tanager are easy. The macaws are not, and the Tinamou is not an easy one to see. Greg

I'm with Greg on this one. The macaw numbers are rebounding wonderfully, but remember, they were critically endangered in the not too distant past. It's a treat that any of us still get a chance to see them. I like the jacamars, they always remind me of giant hummingbirds when they're perched.

Great Tinamous on the other hand, at La Selva, are big drunken chickens! Haha, they're pretty habituated at that site. It's pretty comical to encounter one on the trail, have it stare at you with surprised eyes, then scurry around the corner only to forget you are there...then when you round the corner it gives you those eyes again. Silly creatures.

-Don
http://www.rainforestdon.com
(not asydabass, that guy's a jerk, right Millside? ;) )
millside

Post by millside »

haha, yes that is correct, don,
but the guy did like my pictures so he can't be all bad.

and correct on the Great Tinamous . they just wonder within a couple feet of you. but I do enjoy listening to their calls while hiking the jungle at night.
chrish

Post by chrish »

That's strange. I've only seen Great Tinamou once (in Panama) and it also walked out of the forest and wandered around our feet quite boldly.

That is in stark contrast to the others I've seen (Thicket and Little Tinamous) where even the briefest glimpse takes a lot of work!
AsydaBass

Post by AsydaBass »

Chris, I've found that the Little Tinamou down in the Osa Peninsula are quite bold (or oblivious), but else where in the country that species, along with the Slaty-breasted, are indeed quite secretive. Also, up at my main site (650m uphill from La Selva) the Greats are more "normal" in behavior.

-Don
Andy Avram

Post by Andy Avram »

I have only seen a Thicket Tinamou in Santa Rosa National Park. It wandered onto the road and leisurely wandered back off again. But, we were in a car, which sometimes makes a difference.