Inca Dove in Alabama?

All things winged, in the field or your own private aviary.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Coluber Constrictor

Inca Dove in Alabama?

Post by Coluber Constrictor » October 2nd, 2012, 3:13 pm

I saw an Inca Dove in my parents' backyard in midtown Mobile this morning. I had never heard of this species anywhere near Alabama before (it is mostly a Southwestern species apparently). Anyone heard of this species in AL or anywhere outside of its usual range?

Raymond McConnell

Re: Inca Dove in Alabama?

Post by Raymond McConnell » October 2nd, 2012, 4:09 pm

I've seen ground doves in the area since I was a kid. Is that what you are referring to? I'm not familiar with any other small doves in the area.

Coluber Constrictor

Post by Coluber Constrictor » October 2nd, 2012, 5:25 pm

The Inca dove is similar to a ground dove but has a long tail. I looked it up and apparently it is only found in TX and surrounding states (and parts of MX). Never heard of one this far east before.

chrish

Post by chrish » October 3rd, 2012, 6:27 am

There are only three records of the Inca Dove in Ebird, and I'm not sure those records are correct. If an Inca Dove did show up in AL, a large number of Alabama birders would chase it and we would see a lot of reports of the same bird in ebird. Instead we see three separate reports from three separate locations by three separate people. That suggests mistakes in ID.

That doesn't mean you didn't see an Inca Dove, just that seeing one in AL would be very unusual.

Inca Dove doesn't just look like a long-tailed Ground Dove. Somehow it looks larger and the scaly pattern on the back is very conspicuous. One of the most conspicuous distinguishing characters (I see both species where I live) is the presence or absence of the black spotting on the folded wings. CGDO has it, INDO doesn't.

Inca Doves are also not quite as shy as COGD. They don't fly quite as easily if you approach them.

Coluber Constrictor

Post by Coluber Constrictor » October 3rd, 2012, 8:42 am

It was definitley an inca, it had that same pattern.

chrish

Post by chrish » October 3rd, 2012, 2:10 pm

You should report it to the AL/Mobile rare bird alert or enter it on Ebird if you are an Ebird user.

Coluber Constrictor

Post by Coluber Constrictor » October 3rd, 2012, 7:10 pm

I'll probably get on that tomorrow.

I'll be keeping an eye out for this bird and hopefully get a photo of it.

Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc » October 11th, 2012, 8:16 pm

Damn thats pretty. And the common name too, has an exquisite ring

Southwest wanderer

Post by Southwest wanderer » November 24th, 2012, 9:15 pm

I have lived in Tucson Arizona for 18 years. Inca Doves used to be quite common in many localities around the city. Today; however, they are becoming harder to find. The Inca dove is going through some type of range expansion or movement altogether. Their numbers seem to be in decline in AZ, or there is some type of shifting in their range.

Your sighting is a good one to report to Rare Bird Alerts in Alabama as well as a report to eBird.com

Janine

rip18

Post by rip18 » November 25th, 2012, 12:49 pm

Inca doves have been expanding eastward for several years. There was a "new" sighting this morning in more northern Mississippi. Three inca doves were regularly seen near Magnolia Springs, AL (Baldwin County) starting this past August. So, yours could be one of them, one of their offspring, or a completely "new" bird. Hope you get some shots of it!

Coluber Constrictor

Post by Coluber Constrictor » November 27th, 2012, 11:23 am

I never did see that bird again, I get the feeling it was just passing through anyway. It seemed lost. :lol:

I'll keep an eye out for them though.