Some fall birds

All things winged.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Stohlgren

Some fall birds

Post by Stohlgren »

It's been a pretty good fall, bird wise. I'm not much of a birder but this fall I paid a little more attention to them and ended up seeing some nice stuff. This month alone, I saw over 100 species, mostly incidental observations while out working, but I also went out with birding in mind a few times.

Warbler activity was at its peak in early to mid October.

Black-and-white warbler

Prarie warbler

Magnolia warbler

Palm warbler

Common yellowthroats were among the most abundant and most inquisitive.

American redstarts were also very abundant though I couldn't manage any shots of a male.

Cape May warbler was one of my better finds, but I didn't get any good shots.

The arrival of the white-eyed vireos and the yellow-rumped warblers (no photo) signaled an end to the good migrant warbler activity.

Eastern wood-peewee

I am terrible at sparrow ID so I usually try to snap a photo and hope to identify it later. This clay-colored sparrow was a nice find as they are not common in the east. They are recorded annually along Georgia's coast though.

While walking through some high marsh I snapped a quick photo of this small group of sparrows. Turns out there were both sharp-tailed sparrow species (saltmarsh on left, Nelson's center and right).

Nelson's

Some shorebirds

Sanderling

Western sandpiper

Semipalmated sandpiper

Semipalmated plover

Black-bellied plover

Killdeer

Willet

Long-billed Curlew. Not a common bird on the east coast but some overwinter on Georgia's barrier islands.

I saw at least 5 at this location

I saw numerous marbled godwit at the same location, most of which were on an exposed sandbar much too far for photographs but one individual was kind enough to forage on the beach and was not too skiddish.

A couple herons

Juvie black-crowned night-heron

Tricolored heron

Haven't seen much in the way of ducks yet this fall, but I did see a group of three ring-necked ducks this weekend.

This is a photo from last year, but I saw this same scene this weekend. Thousands of swallows have arrived on the coast and formed in huge swarms, large enough to be picked up on Doppler radar.

And here are a few more from earlier in 2012 that I don't think I have shared

American bittern

Blue-gray gnatcatcher

Snowy egret

Whimbrel

Ruby-throated hummingbird

Prothonotary warbler

Whip-poor-will

This summer I got to observe a large feeding congregation of kites for a few weeks after a prescribed fire.
Swallow-tailed

Mississippi

And that's about it.

-Kevin
Matt Buckingham

Re: Some fall birds

Post by Matt Buckingham »

Yes sir!! My favorite are the Ammodramus. That was what we named the 13-foot gheenoe we used to survey saltmarsh obligate birds along the Chesapeake Bay.

I also really like the Western Sandpiper shot, with the OOF Least and what looks like a Semipalm behind it! That's really cool.
chrish

Post by chrish »

For someone who isn't much a birder, you have some amazing shots.

What gear do you use to shoot these (i.e. lens)?
Stohlgren

Post by Stohlgren »

Thanks, guys.

Matt, I knew that the bird behind the western was a least because I got a photo of it but I didn't even consider that the one further back might have been a semipalmated. That is pretty cool. I'll get better at telling those two apart one of these days.

Chris - All of these were shot with the Sony A77 and the 70-400. Some had the Kenko 1.4x on (night-herons, sanderling, and probably a few other shorebirds). It surprisingly and thankfully will autofocus, but you do loose some sharpness, so my keeper rate has been lower with the teleconverter on.
monklet

Post by monklet »

Kevin, that is some absolutely STELLAR bird photography. :shock: :shock: :shock: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :beer: :beer: :beer:
VICtort

Post by VICtort »

Kevin, this work is a joy to behold. You have a real knack for shorebirds, the willet and the sanderling (with sand grains aflyin'...) really caught my eye, also the ruby throat, the snowy egret and swallow tailed kite are impressive. Each time you and a few others post I am inspired to get off my duff and get a decent camera and try to emulate your work. I appreciate your response to Chris about the camera type and lens, as a beginner, I feel overwhelmed with choices when I look at them for sale, so knowing what others are using and getting such great results is helpful.
Ringnecks (and ducks in general) make great subjects, I hope you find them again in a few weeks when they have completed moulting and color up, they become quite elegant in black and white plumage, often with irridescence on the head and neck.

Gratefully, Vic
Stohlgren

Post by Stohlgren »

Thanks guys.

Vic - It never really stops getting overwhelming. But I do agree that it is helpful to know what others are using and what the gear is capable of. While what they say about it being the photographer and not the camera, quality equipment sure does help. I really like Sony and they certainly make good products. Canon and Nikon do have a much wider selection of gear and lenses, especially when you get into the telephoto ranges. But since I will likely never be able to afford a super telephoto, I don't really have to worry about that too much. And I hear that Sony's 70-400 is sharper than the other brands zoom-400s are. I was lucky to get this lens used, in great condition, and at a greatly reduced price. It looks like someone had opened the box, saw the hideous silver paint job, and put it up for sale.

Yes, the ring-necks were kind of ugly. I have seen adults in full breeding plumage, but never close enough for good photos. That is one thing I have learned, you can't buy a 25megapixel camera and a 400mm lens and expect to get good shots of birds from across a lake. You still need to be close, which is the most frustrating part. You can't just run up, grab them, and pose them like you can herps. The challenge is part of the fun though.

pete

Post by pete »

GOOD GOD!!! Those are some beautiful photos!! The gnatcatcher is incredible, all are fantastic!

Since my own photography sucks....I have decided to hate you :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: