Interesting Great Blue Heron behavior

All things winged.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Hunter-MX

Interesting Great Blue Heron behavior

Post by Hunter-MX »

While I did find other examples of this online, I have never seen this before and thought I would share. It is definitely sunning, apparently parabolicly. It stayed this way over 15 minutes, adjusting to the suns angle.

Andy Avram

Re: Interesting Great Blue Heron behavior

Post by Andy Avram »

Very cool. I was birding a few years ago with some coworkers and we stopped to watch a Great Blue Heron. Suddenly, the bird reared up, spread its wings and adopted the same pose as your bird. Combined we had seen a lot of GBHs, but never that behavior. Two days later some of those same coworkers came over to my office to say that our resident GBH (we have an animal rehab facility on site) that we have had for 15+ years did the same thing. It is interesting and surprising it isn't seen more often.

Andy
VICtort

Post by VICtort »

Cool photo...l have seen herons almost daily for decades, and I thought I knew them well. I have never seen this behavior, it shows me to not take them for granted and close observations will almost always reveal new behaviors. Thanks for posting, interesting and not often seen or described in my experience. Vic
Antonsrkn

Post by Antonsrkn »

Very cool, i have also seen alot of herons but didn't know about that behavior.