Freddy81 and swallows...

All things winged.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Andy Avram

Freddy81 and swallows...

Post by Andy Avram »

Continuation from the last lifer post. Checked out the link to the pictures and it is a Cliff Swallow, but now it looks like dinner:

http://www.thelocal.se/44616/20121123/
chrish

Re: Freddy81 and swallows...

Post by chrish »

Andy Avram wrote:Continuation from the last lifer post. Checked out the link to the pictures and it is a Cliff Swallow, but now it looks like dinner:

http://www.thelocal.se/44616/20121123/
I guess I am sorry to anyone who missed the bird, but that is freaking hilarious.
dery

Post by dery »

i believe this was enevitable. :( but atleast the swallow set a record before death.
Hunter-MX

Post by Hunter-MX »

Thanks Chris. I was worried I was the only one... ;)
dery

Post by dery »

Hunter-MX wrote:Thanks Chris. I was worried I was the only one... ;)
I didn't like that a hawk ate a meal it never had before(it might harm the hawk), but the part about the swallow making such a solo flight is extremely amazing, and extremely funny in a way due to shock and awe factor. :lol:
Freddy81

Post by Freddy81 »

It was a big story in Sweden. And a alot of people did not have the chans to see the bird. But I´m happy that we went 2 days before it was killed.
chrish

Post by chrish »

Here in Texas, any time a rarity "disappears" suddenly, there is always suspicion against the academic ornithologists.

It dates back several decades to when the first ever pair of Rufous-capped Warblers were spotted in the US. An ornithologist thought it would be important to document the species, so he went down to the location with his .22 caliber pistol and "documented" them in the tradition of John James Audubon. He underestimated the wrath of the birders when they showed up days later only to find that "their" birds were safely housed in a museum case somewhere else. And all this happened in pre-internet days when people had to call each other to find out about rare birds. That ornithologist doesn't document rarities that way anymore.

So at least your Cliff Swallow's disappearance was observed by birders!
Andy Avram

Post by Andy Avram »

chrish wrote:I guess I am sorry to anyone who missed the bird, but that is freaking hilarious.
Hunter-MX wrote:Thanks Chris. I was worried I was the only one... ;)
I posted the story for a but of the hilarity factor. Sucks some people missed it, but funny nonetheless. It is not the first time I have heard of that happening. I think there is a similar story in England with an American Robin.
dery wrote:I didn't like that a hawk ate a meal it never had before(it might harm the hawk),
I wouldn't worry about that too much. I bet it happens to nearly all cross-Atlantic accidentals, and it has likely been happening for eons.
Reptiluvr

Post by Reptiluvr »

That is hilarious! I'm so glad I read this post. That must have been so disappointing. It's always surprisingly sad to see nature do its thing when a rarity is killed.
krismunk

Post by krismunk »

I read about this first on a Danish birding forum where a bunch of guys were planning a trip to go see the bird the next day when suddenly...