So....what's next for bird photo games?

All things winged.

Moderator: Scott Waters

chrish

So....what's next for bird photo games?

Post by chrish »

Alphabirding and Four of a Kind have been fun, but since we are up to a new year starting in the next few days (depending where you are), we should come up with a few new ideas to freshen those up when they get "tired". Plus, we could recycle our old photos if we started something new. :lol:

Anyone have any brainstorms?
Reptiluvr

Re: So....what's next for bird photo games?

Post by Reptiluvr »

Colors. The bird has to have a name that involves a color ie: Blue Grosbeak. We need to make some sort of rule on color-bodypart combos like red-breasted, red-bellied, etc. Allow or don't? I think we should allow it if it's a different body part each time. Examples: Red-breasted Merganser, Red-bellied Woodpecker, Red-shouldered Hawk. Let's get a few thoughts on that.
krismunk

Post by krismunk »

Except for the first couple of rounds of Alphabirding the rules have precluded the use of species whose name is a single word so in order to get some new species thrown into the mix it might be nice with a game where these are allowed, perhaps even one where they are the focus (though the latter could end up a little short lived). I have no specific ideas just now though, but I'l try to think of some...
Rags

Post by Rags »

How about somehow linking in with some of the other forums? I'm not sure how it would work or even if it could.

Maybe along the lines of 'Four of a Kind' but extended to include a bird, a herp, a mammal and an invert. For example the 'Four of a kind' could be photographs of;

Golden Oriole - Golden Orb Weaver - Golden Mantella - Golden Lion Tamarin.

or maybe four linked by a common theme, such as;

Timber Wolf - Paradise Tree Snake - Carolina Wood Duck - Bark Beetle.

Unfortunately this doesn't solve the problem of the birds with single word names that 'krismunk' mentioned. Also there maybe a shortage of suitable mammal photos/names.
chrish

Post by chrish »

I like just the single word name idea. That might be fun. It, of course, would have to be the official name, not just a nickname. We could just do that as our next "Four of a Kind" as well.

Reptiluvr,

We've done colors as part of the Four of A Kind, but I think we can do more with it.
nightdriver

Post by nightdriver »

Chris,

Start us out :thumb:

I'm gettin' anxious to see some photos :D

-nightdriver
chrish

Post by chrish »

I won't be back home until the 14th, so lets wait until the middle of the month....unless someone else wants to get the ball rolling...?
Reptiluvr

Post by Reptiluvr »

You guys did colors all being the same. Green x 4, Red x 4, etc. Let's do something a little different. You can't repeat colors unless its a different body part. Here's an example series:
Red-shouldered Hawk (Red-tailed Hawk still allowed, not sure if Reddish Egret is acceptable)
Indigo Bunting
Blue Grosbeak (no more ____ Blue Herons)
Scarlet Macaw (no more Scarlet Tanager allowed)
Cerulean Warbler
Roseate Spoonbill

This way we can hit tons of colors, birds from around the world, etc. I have seen this used as a good birders icebreaker and even a drinking game. If you can't come up with a name in time on your turn, you drink.
cbernz

Post by cbernz »

I have an idea that I tried a couple years ago on Facebook, but it never really took off. The contest was to photograph the maximum number of bird species simultaneously at your feeder or feeding station. I think I maxed out at 6, my uncle got 6 or 7, and we didn't really get any other entries. In order to count, the birds had to be identifiable from the photo, and they had to be on a feeder or part of the feeding station structure (so sitting on a beam or plank waiting for a turn to eat is fine, but a mid-air shot doesn't count). This could be a yearlong contest, so that everyone gets a chance to photograph during their period of peak feeder activity. A simpler variation on this would be to just compete for most bird species in a single photo (obviously, no multiple layers or other editing allowed).