Too cold to herp, might as well go birding (pics)

All things winged.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Matt J

Too cold to herp, might as well go birding (pics)

Post by Matt J »

Since moving back to Delaware a few weeks ago I decided I needed to get into birding to take advantage of the great habitats found statewide. Also, it's too cold for herping so this is how I can get my fix. It was overcast all day Monday and I'm using a 55-250mm, so I apologize for the gloomy pics. If I've incorrectly IDed anything, please correct me!

Before birds, here is a fearless Red Fox. I was driving slowly down a dirt lane when I saw it 100 ft away and stopped the car. The fox stopped, then trotted up to my car and around to the drivers side, stopped, then walked away.

American Avocets. I watched this group forage for a couple minutes and I was impressed with how they all moved and turned in unison.

Northern Shovelers. Quite a few pairs were out.

American Coot. Saw tons of these but they were surprisingly difficult to photograph, seems like they have a knack for hiding behind veg.

Bald Eagle. Surveying an expansive salt marsh.

Red-shouldered Hawk. I'm not very good with IDing raptors and saw a few more than I couldn't ID or photograph.

Hooded Mergansers. Saw a few pairs of these, all in the same area. Goofy-looking

Buffleheads. Frustrating to try to photograph. I only saw them in tidal creeks and whenever one saw me it would quickly head the other direction.

Tundra Swan. "Mmmmm, mud".

Great Blue Heron. Too bad it was in a very busy background.

Ruby-crowned Kinglet (?). The only songbird that would sit still.

Thanks for looking :beer:
Andy Avram

Re: Too cold to herp, might as well go birding (pics)

Post by Andy Avram »

I am going to upgrade the Red-shouldered picture by +2 and call it a Northern Harrier. Especially if you were in a saltmarsh, as that would be correct habitat as opposed to the forests the RsH likes. I agree with your other IDs. Looks like a pretty good day of birding.

Andy
Matt J

Post by Matt J »

Looking at pics I can now see the difference between the two, thanks a lot for the correction Andy.

(Can you not edit posts in the Bird Forum? I don't see the button like on other subforums.)
Andy Avram

Post by Andy Avram »

No problem.

As for the edit button, someone was complaining it was gone in another post on the main. I think Scott/Don took it off as an option. I for one am not a fan of that...
ZantiMissKnit

Post by ZantiMissKnit »

Matt J wrote: Hooded Mergansers. Saw a few pairs of these, all in the same area. Goofy-looking
They're one of my favorites, goofy-looking or not. ;)
pete

Post by pete »

nice Stuff :thumb: were you at Bombay Hook? were the avocets recent? Taking two days south to visit family, avocets would be a nice detour :D
Matt J

Post by Matt J »

pete wrote:nice Stuff :thumb: were you at Bombay Hook? were the avocets recent? Taking two days south to visit family, avocets would be a nice detour :D
Yup, this was all at Bombay Hook NWR on 1/1/2013; right now I live 15 miles away. The avocets were all grouped together in the Raymond Pool, and when I left 5 hrs later they were still in the same area. Great vantage point from the observation tower, so you should check that out.
pete

Post by pete »

Thank You!! :D