Bald Eagle hunting coot on the lake

All things winged, in the field or your own private aviary.

Moderator: Scott Waters

PhoenixBird

Bald Eagle hunting coot on the lake

Post by PhoenixBird »

Good day for the eagle, bad day for the coot.

Reptiluvr

Re: Bald Eagle hunting coot on the lake

Post by Reptiluvr »

American Bald Eagle vs. American Coot, nice lol.
Was the coot injured or something? I would think they would try a little harder to get away from the middle of the lake and a clearly intent predator.

PhoenixBird

Post by PhoenixBird »

I don't think the coot was injured, I think the Eagle was just persistent. Maybe the coot was old? Maybe it just wasn't his day. I felt sorry for it. Didn't know who I should be rooting for... I guess it was a circle of life moment.

Andy Avram

Post by Andy Avram »

Always fun to see birds of prey hunting. I have seen a Bald Eagle do this exact same behavior in Maine, but unsuccessfully going after baby Common Eiders, which would dive every time the eagle swooped and the mom just quacked her bill off. Cool to see your eagle actually getting the coot, which by the way, is not a duck, but a type of rail (I noticed the title of your video on youtube).
Reptiluvr wrote:Was the coot injured or something? I would think they would try a little harder to get away from the middle of the lake and a clearly intent predator.
Coots are pretty slow swimmers and flyers, and I doubt either method would be faster than a Bald Eagle in a stoop. They rely on the open water for their protection, diving when danger gets too close. I think that PB is right, that the eagle eventually just tired the coot out until an opportunity to hit the bird arose, once wounded it made an easier target (looks like the eagle clipped the coot around the 3rd to last dive).

PhoenixBird

Post by PhoenixBird »

the coot, which by the way, is not a duck, but a type of rail
Ha,ha, Thanks for clearing it up...the duck/rail thing. To me if it walks like a duck and swims like a duck, it's a duck. LOL Anyway, the eagle was awesome because as he flew out from behind a big boulder he made his presence known by a loud scream! I wish I would have known he was coming so I could have captured that on video. Then he perched himself on a rock for about three minutes before he took to the air and began his coot hunt. It was an amazing thing for me to see since I've never witnessed anything like it in real life before. I still felt sorry for the coot though.

soulsurvivor

Post by soulsurvivor »

When I was a kid, we used to have hundreds of coots pass by the house in the St Johns River during the winter. The eagles always had a field day with this. I remember watching a determined eagle perched on the top of one of the dock boathouses while a group of coots hid below the boathouse in the water. I also remember another time that an eagle was perched on a boathouse picking apart a coot.

Curiously, we don't get the huge winter flocks of coots anymore, but instead have tons of Canadian geese, which we NEVER saw when I was a kid.