Unidentifed birds from Borneo

All things winged.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Antonsrkn

Unidentifed birds from Borneo

Post by Antonsrkn »

Hello, I have two birds whose IDs I can't figure out. Both are from Sabah, Borneo more specifically Danum Valley. I'm hoping someone who has visited that area knows offhand or maybe has a field guide laying around. I had tentative IDs but I lost the slip of paper where it was written down and now cant remember and no longer have access to a field guide to ID them again. Any help is appreciated. Both were found sleeping at night.

This one was seen sleeping along the road in an open area but not far from the edge of the forest. Basically the open area is only in a narrow strip along the road.

This one was in dense primary forest

I think these are the only 2 im struggling with the IDs for. But if I forgot about any others I'll post them too. I dont know if theres any interest but in a while I'll try to make a post with the bird photos I got in Borneo.

Thanks in advance for any help!
J-Miz

Re: Unidentifed birds from Borneo

Post by J-Miz »

I don't know what they are for sure, as I do not own a field guide to the birds of Borneo, but here are my guesses:

Yellow-bellied Prinia
Blue Flycatcher (Pale Blue Flycatcher or Borneo Blue Flycatcher??)

Just tossing that out there!
chrish

Post by chrish »

I do have a bird guide to Borneo, but it is over 30 years old and the bird taxonomy has changed significantly since that time.

The first bird is a Prinia, and Yellow-bellied is a good guess since they are common SE Asian birds and the only Prinia in Sabah.
Pale Blue Flycatcher looks like a good match for the other.

And hell yes you need to post bird photos from Borneo! :lol:
Antonsrkn

Post by Antonsrkn »

Thanks for the help guys! I really appreciate it, I'll put together a post with the birds sometime soon. I'm still processing my photos despite being back for months.