30 and done!

All things winged.

Moderator: Scott Waters

pete

30 and done!

Post by pete »

This years irruption of snowy owls has been absolutely amazing for me. I have seen 29 different owls in one seemingly endless winter.Some have been present at the beach near my house all winter and i have visited them regularly after work, sometimes with a camera, sometimes just to watch them and say "wow". a lot of the birds have been seen in passing, flying over the road or sitting on a distant tree. I've watched them hunt ducks and scavenge a coyote killed deer. They are cool birds to be sure and I'm hoping for #30 before march ends.
Here are a few pics from the winter. Not the best shots, but I'm very happy to have seen the birds :D Just got # 30 walking the dog near Otis afb! Bring on the good spring stuff!!
justinm

Re: 30 and done!

Post by justinm »

Wow, I'm in awe. You have some very enviable shots in there.
mikez

Post by mikez »

It has been an historic year for the snowies. I heard they had trouble on the Cape from snowies killing the local barn owls.
sjfriend

Post by sjfriend »

JUST NO FAIR!!!! I live in AK 8 years and haven't seen 1.

Your shots are great. Love the ones in snow with grasses around them.
pete

Post by pete »

Thanks! I got # 31 on Friday flying across I 95 in seabrook New Hampshire.

Mike, I hadn't heard about them killing barn owls. I did see one hunting in a field with two harriers and a barn owl at sachuest nwr. It was a pretty cool sight. This winter was just mind numbing for me! Being able to see snowies at will was such a treat. It'll probably never happen in my life again.
mikez

Post by mikez »

Actually Pete, I'm pretty sure it was sachuest where they killed the barn owls. I'll have to dig it up, but pretty sure it was that well known pair of barn owls in Sachuest that got hit. People had been coming from all over to see the barn owls before the snowie got 'em.

I confess, despite being about 50 miles from the coast, my anti-crowd following nature kept me from chasing any of the known snowies. Earlier in the winter I spent a few days hiking the deep snow and glassing possible habitat inland hoping for my own with no luck. Eventually the lack of inland reports from other birders discouraged me from the effort.

However with big white birds on the brain, I saw a lot of gulls this winter including an Iceland [fairly regular winter visiter here] and an albino red tail hawk. I thought I was flashin when I saw the white hawk and had myself convinced I was mistaken until a report came out from the same spot on the same day.