Winter Ducks

All things winged.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Antonsrkn

Winter Ducks

Post by Antonsrkn »

Thought I'd share some images from this winter. I'll keep the narrative short but for any additional info you can follow the link to the flickr pages.

I'm not a serious birder but I like seeing any new wildlife and that certainly includes birds. This winter was a tough one for birds in the area and I saw many dead diving ducks that died from what I suspect was mostly malnutrition due to the high ice coverage of most water bodies.

This was my first Goldeneye ever, the lack of open water may have drawn it to some different habitat than is typical for these.
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3031/1307 ... 7b38_c.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26500525@N08/13084438873/

The very next day I saw a male Goldeneye along with a Scaup, I didn't realize they were different species until I looked at my fieldguide at home, I had assumed it was a male and female prior. Is it common for them to be found in such close proximity? Also notice the the Goldeneye has a mussel in his beak, I thought that was kind of cool.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26500525@N08/13048734075/

Some mammals were around also, I was surprised to see him about on a cold day
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26500525@N08/13064591774/

Luckily in the past week the weather has warmed up and alot of the ice around has melted and that includes the ice on lake Michigan that wasmaking it tough for overwintering diving ducks to feed, the ones that made it this long should be alright.
JoeDANG

Re: Winter Ducks

Post by JoeDANG »

Thanks for sharing these. I heard a flock of Sandhills heading north yesterday, I think all of us are looking forward to warmer days and sunshine!
chrish

Post by chrish »

Cool photos. Was the female goldeneye in the surf?
Antonsrkn

Post by Antonsrkn »

Cool photos. Was the female goldeneye in the surf?
No, she was actually in some rapids in a river. The rapids and a bit of water immediately up and downstream of them were the only part of the river that weren't frozen. As I watched her she flew up into the section of the water infront of the rapids and the current was too much for her, she was slowly carried backwards into the thick of it where the water was at its most rough. She put up a good fight and stayed there for maybe 5-6 seconds which is when I snapped the photos and then she was carried down and past them. She emerged a little flustered but seemingly none the worse for wear.

After reading up on Goldeneyes it seems like a fast flowing turbulent section of river is an odd place to find one in, but its one of the few places that the ice coverage wasn't complete so I'm guessing she was kind of desperate. I was told by a bird expert we have had 1000s of diving ducks die this winter because lake Michigan where they typically spend the winter was about 95% frozen over and most other lakes/rivers were as well. When I went out to lake Michigan there were dead ducks everywhere; I saw Scaups, mergansers, and goldeneyes. Very sad to see but the bird guy told me that overall the populations probably wouldnt be affected too much.
Thanks for sharing these. I heard a flock of Sandhills heading north yesterday, I think all of us are looking forward to warmer days and sunshine!
Thanks for taking a look! I haven't seen any sandhills yet this year, hopefully sometime in the next few weeks. Yeah, I can't speak for everyone but I know I'm getting pretty desperate for sunny days and warmth!
Andy Avram

Post by Andy Avram »

Awesome pictures!
Antonsrkn wrote:This winter was a tough one for birds in the area and I saw many dead diving ducks that died from what I suspect was mostly malnutrition due to the high ice coverage of most water bodies.
We have a rehab center at my work and we have had lots of diving ducks, especially Red-breasted Mergansers (Lake Erie is the major winter grounds), come into the center, and lots dead on the lake. I guess when our rehabbers necropsied some deads they found them loaded with parasites. My guess is that the stress of finding open water and food, and staying warm this winter has weakened their immune system enough that the worms in their bodies are going nuts.
Antonsrkn wrote:The very next day I saw a male Goldeneye along with a Scaup, I didn't realize they were different species until I looked at my fieldguide at home, I had assumed it was a male and female prior. Is it common for them to be found in such close proximity?
Yes. Ducks like to flock, and while they prefer their own species they will certainly mix and associate with each other. Especially, in the winter when their may only be small pockets of open water. Through the winter here it is not unusual to see 10 species of ducks associated together at open water.

Andy
Antonsrkn

Post by Antonsrkn »

especially Red-breasted Mergansers
Yeah there were a number of dead mergansers about, I didn't photograph the dead ducks much but when I saw that the two ducks previously shown were going to fly by the merganser I tried to get a shot with all 3 in frame. Really sad to just see them out there like that.
I guess when our rehabbers necropsied some deads they found them loaded with parasites. My guess is that the stress of finding open water and food, and staying warm this winter has weakened their immune system enough that the worms in their bodies are going nuts.
I hadn't heard about the parasites, yikes. Appreciate the extra info!
Yes. Ducks like to flock, and while they prefer their own species they will certainly mix and associate with each other. Especially, in the winter when their may only be small pockets of open water. Through the winter here it is not unusual to see 10 species of ducks associated together at open water.
Again thanks, appreciate the info! I'd love to see a flock with 10 species, I have seen no more than 3 different species in close proximity myself and I had just figured it was due to there being little open water. I was just surprised that these not only shared the same space but seemed to follow each other around.