Spring Photodump (Lots of big white birds)

All things winged.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Antonsrkn

Spring Photodump (Lots of big white birds)

Post by Antonsrkn »

Hi all,
Just thought I'd share some photos from this Spring. I'll keep the narration to a minimum, if anyone wants anymore info or species names follow the links at the bottom of the photos to the flickr page, I have each photo labeled with the common and scientific name and some additional info in most cases.

On days when the weather is nice and I have some spare time I have been trying to photograph some of the common species around my house which I have no photos of.

I could go outside any given day and spot one of these but I better shot than this eludes me so far.
ImageNeighborhood Turdus by antonsrkn, on Flickr
One of those birds I am positive I have seen before but prior to IDing the one in my photograph I never knew existed. Does that make it a lifer? Now that I know what these are and that theyre different from sparrows I see them everywhere.
ImageFinch on White by antonsrkn, on Flickr

ImageCardinalis by antonsrkn, on Flickr

I have targeted some of the mammals around the house too..
ImageChipmunk Portrait by antonsrkn, on Flickr

ImageChipmunk portrait by antonsrkn, on Flickr

ImageCurious Chipmunk by antonsrkn, on Flickr

I have taken some trips to a large cattail marsh when I have the time and I have seen some cool stuff out there.

First time I have managed a shot of one of these.
ImageGamebird by antonsrkn, on Flickr

Some mammals out thereabouts as well
ImageStriped Skunk by antonsrkn, on Flickr

Even my first herp of the year
ImageSpring Snapper by antonsrkn, on Flickr

ImageWarming up by antonsrkn, on Flickr

However the area isn't particularly herp rich and it has been cold when im out there, so I tend to focus on birds when im there. Afterall its what the area is best known for.

I count 5 species and I know there is a sixth but you cant make it out in this photo
ImageBirdscape by antonsrkn, on Flickr

ImageHoricon by antonsrkn, on Flickr

ImageCrane Couple by antonsrkn, on Flickr

Whooping crane
ImageWhooping Crane by antonsrkn, on Flickr

Common birds but I have actually never photographed either of these 2 species prior.
ImageGeese & Grackle by antonsrkn, on Flickr

ImageFlying in Formation by antonsrkn, on Flickr

Never photographed these before either, and only seen them 1-2 times prior.
ImageRedhead Pair by antonsrkn, on Flickr

ImageRedhead Drake by antonsrkn, on Flickr

My favorite experience out there was when I found an open stretch of water and took a seat among the grassy hummocks along the bank. I was wearing a brown coat with my hood up and had grass all around me, I think this did a pretty good job concealing me as while I was sitting there this pair of Trumpeter swans approached the area and I was able to photograph them without disturbing them. I hadn't even seen them when I initially took a seat. I apologize for all the photos but these swans were too cool to pick just a few.
ImageHoricon Swans by antonsrkn, on Flickr

ImageTrumpeter Swan Pair by antonsrkn, on Flickr

ImageSwans by antonsrkn, on Flickr

Argued a bit
ImageSquabbling Swans by antonsrkn, on Flickr

ImageDrip Drip Drop by antonsrkn, on Flickr

ImageFloating Cygnus by antonsrkn, on Flickr

ImageSwan in Action by antonsrkn, on Flickr

After a while a neighbor flew in to visit them, i expected the swans to chase the mergansers away but they seemed to get along no problem.
ImageNew Friends by antonsrkn, on Flickr

Random shot of peaceful lakeshore and if you look close enough a muskrat in the water
ImageLake in the Evening by antonsrkn, on Flickr

After that I went down south to catch the cottonmouth migration.

It was a successful trip
ImageAmiable Agkistrodon by antonsrkn, on Flickr

ImageSmiling for the camera by antonsrkn, on Flickr

ImageWater Moccasin by antonsrkn, on Flickr

ImageLong tailed Salamander by antonsrkn, on Flickr

ImageCall of the Wild by antonsrkn, on Flickr

The trip was entirely focused on herps, however on the way back I came across an birding opportunity I couldn't resist. White pelicans! There were a few of them hanging out in a section of river, I must have spent over an hour trying to photograph them. They were a bit further away than I would have liked but I got some decent shots.

ImagePelican Fly Over by antonsrkn, on Flickr

ImagePelican Group Shot by antonsrkn, on Flickr
Einsteins hairstyle
ImageFeather Crown by antonsrkn, on Flickr

ImagePortrait of a Pelecanus by antonsrkn, on Flickr

After some time it became apparent the pelicans were fishing out there, it was awesome to observe them catching fish. They would just dip their heads down and snag up whatever was in the water.
ImageFishy Farewell by antonsrkn, on Flickr

ImageFish sticks by antonsrkn, on Flickr

ImageFish Sticks II by antonsrkn, on Flickr

ImageGone Fishing by antonsrkn, on Flickr

ImagePelican by antonsrkn, on Flickr

ImageBest in Show by antonsrkn, on Flickr

And I saved my favorite two photographs for last....
Here it almost looks like some sort of bigger fish is attempting to steal a smaller fish from the pelican. The pelican tried to catch the bigger fish but it slipped away, I couldnt tell what happened to the second smaller fish already in his sac.
ImageMouthful by antonsrkn, on Flickr

And this guy who managed to snag himself a whopper...
ImageSnack Attack by antonsrkn, on Flickr

That is the outline of a fish tail pressing out from his throat sac, the fish was flailing around like crazy fighting for its life and the pelican couldn't seem to swallow it further than he already had. It took a while but the fish either suffocated or tired itself out as the pelican was able to get it down eventually.

And well a few neighborhood deer just because...
ImageNeighborhood Deer by antonsrkn, on Flickr

ImageWisconsin Odocoileus by antonsrkn, on Flickr

Well thats it for now. Hope you all enjoyed!
pete

Re: Spring Photodump (Lots of big white birds)

Post by pete »

I certainly enjoyed that! Love the trumpeter shots and the pelican shots are outstanding!
chrish

Post by chrish »

Great series. The swan photos are amazing.

Is that a Purple Finch?
Antonsrkn

Post by Antonsrkn »

Thanks guys, glad you enjoyed! Yeah the swans were a completely unexpected but very welcome surprise, this is the only time I have been able to observe them going about their business up close, it was amazing!
Is that a Purple Finch?
I have it IDed as a House Finch, I figured based on the habitat around here (its a suburban area) and it looked less red than the purple finch in my guide, I thought it was probably the house finch.