birds without feet - a few pics

All things winged.

Moderator: Scott Waters

chrish

birds without feet - a few pics

Post by chrish »

I spent a few hours sitting at the hummingbird feeders at Llano Estero Grande State Park (Weslaco, TX) trying to get ONE decent shot of a Buff-bellied Hummingbird showing its green gorget. I failed. Although there were dozens of Buff-bellies all around me they were so busy fighting that I only got lousy shots of the throats or they were immatures.
Did get a few Ruby-throats for good measure.

At first I was disappointed to catch the wings in front of the face in this one, then I noticed you could see the eye through the primaries!

Perched shots are cheating.

Never could get the full gorget lit!

Did get a few Ruby-throats for good measure, but they are easier somehow.

I was trying to get at least one away from the feeders on the nearby flowers. I thought I nailed this one.....stupid stigma!

It was fun I guess, although I feel like I should have had more keepers for all the stuff I shot!

Chris
dezertwerx

Re: birds without feet - a few pics

Post by dezertwerx »

nice shots!
Brairpatch

Post by Brairpatch »

Nice shots. That second one is awesome.
Ive actually shot a few birds (doves) that didnt have any feet, only stubbs. I figure they lost then to frostbite.

Greg
Tim Borski

Post by Tim Borski »

Brairpatch wrote:Nice shots. That second one is awesome.
Ive actually shot a few birds (doves) that didnt have any feet, only stubbs. I figure they lost then to frostbite.

Greg
I see one-legged Laughing Gulls quite often down here. The Bluefish lop 'em off (I'm sure accidentally) While they are busting glass minnows and the Gulls are all dipping and tweetering above them.