Long Island Snowy Owls

All things winged.

Moderator: Scott Waters

NewYorkHerper16

Long Island Snowy Owls

Post by NewYorkHerper16 »

Yesterday I decided to try looking for snowy owls at a local beach. Sightings are pretty common here, with most experienced birders being able to catch a glimpse of at least one. Early in the morning i drove out there (first trip with my driver's license woot woot), and i was definitely not disappointed! I got to see three snowy owls!!! One landed on the trail about 30 feet in front of me which stopped me dead in my tracks. I had no idea they were SO BIG! They look like two-foot tall snowmen in the dunes. After a few minutes of watching it, the owl flew and started fighting with another snowy, and there was ANOTHER watching them from a dune a few feet away. Even though im not really a birder, i thought it was pretty awesome!
Tamara D. McConnell

Re: Long Island Snowy Owls

Post by Tamara D. McConnell »

Your snowy owl experience sounds wonderful! Great pictures of a bird more beautiful than my vocabulary can express.
NewYorkHerper16

Re: Long Island Snowy Owls

Post by NewYorkHerper16 »

Thanks Tamara! This is definitely my favorite species of owl, maybe even my favorite species of any bird. It's really special to know they're living just 20 minutes from me!