Basically I was called full of mierda...

All things winged.

Moderator: Scott Waters

John Martin

Basically I was called full of mierda...

Post by John Martin »

I enjoy all of the different animal forums here and thought I'd add a bird sighting from long ago in the early '90's. It was early morning (summer, don't remember the month) and I was driving up the Mt. Hopkins Rd. in the Santa Rita Mtns. of AZ. I stopped when I noticed a different looking bird land in a dead roadside tree at lower elevation. I CAN identify most all of the local southern AZ birds, having lived in Tucson for 30 years. The bird I saw alight only 30 feet away was definitely a White-headed woodpecker. Probably a female, as I don't recall seeing any red marking on the head. But did I have a camera with me? Hell no! I called the University of Arizona ornithology dept. the next day to report the sighting and was met with some rude bitch who basically called me a liar. Oh well, I realize that's how it goes with birding - no pics, no validity. Ahh, had I only had my camera and telephoto lens. That's my story and I'm sticking to it! The end... And just for the heck of it, I also saw a Virginia opossum on that same road one night - WTH was that doing there?!
Richard F. Hoyer

Re: Basically I was called full of mierda...

Post by Richard F. Hoyer »

JM,
There are snobs in all walks of life with birders being no exception. Of course, off the wall sighting should be held with some degree of skepticism but outright rejection has frequently proven to be folly.

In 1989, a Gyrfalcon was sighted at the Finley National Wildlife Refuges by some very good local birders during the Audubon Christmas bird count. They reported their observation, with the considerable details required, to the Oregon Bird Records Committee in Portland who reject the sightings. Those snobs indicated the species did not occur in Oregon. There is more to the story but I won’t elaborate.

But now years later, the Gyrfalcon is known to be a regular, winter migrant to Oregon with this state being the normal southerly extension of the species’ winter range.

About 6 – 8 years ago, just west of the Corvallis, Oregon airport, a Crested Caracara was sighted. Talk about off the wall sightings but in that case, many individuals came to see and photograph the Caracara.

On a somewhat similar note, there also are snobs in the herping community. In 1999, when asked to peer review drafts of my manuscripts, five of six professional herpetologists rejected my proposal that a here-to-fore overlooked new species of Sharp-tailed Snake occurs in Oregon and California.

Richard F. Hoyer ( Corvallis, Oregon)
John Martin

Post by John Martin »

Thanks Richard, and I do understand her doubt involved in my sighting. I guess I just let someone with a rude attitude get to me. The lady insisted I would have seen an Acorn Woodpecker - uh, ok lady, whatever. Not like I hadn't seen many dozens of those. Bottom line - no proof, sighting worthless. And congratulations re the Contia!!
Richard F. Hoyer

Post by Richard F. Hoyer »

John,
I will be copying your original message to my son Rich Jr. of Tucson. Rich is a professional birding guide for Wings, Inc. of Tucson. Right now he is leading a tour here in Oregon and will be back in Corvallis on the 27th. and then back to Tucson. I think he would be interested in your sighting.

The White-headed Woodpecker is so distinctive, it is unimaginable that the species could be confused with any other species of woodpecker.

Richard FH
John Martin

Post by John Martin »

Hi again Richard. Yes, I'm sure he would be interested but even the details are hazy in my old memory bank now. I was keeping a (more or less herp) diary at the time but for some reason never made note of the bird sighting. Like I said, I can only narrow it down to a spring/summer in probably 1991-1993 time frame. I stopped my vehicle immediately when I saw it land on the dead snag and sat there observing it until it flew away (probably 5-6 minutes) because I knew it was something I hadn't seen before. So I DID get a very good look and it was definitely a White-headed. To this day I am so bummed that I didn't have my usual camera gear along. Tell Rich Jr. he is welcome to PM me anytime! :)
Steve Barten

Post by Steve Barten »

Late to the party, but I offer another perspective.

I was in Ramsey Canyon in the Huachuca Mountains with my family a number of years ago. I happened to be in the office when a tourist ran is exclaiming, "I saw the trogon! I saw the trogon!" (The iconic bird of the Huachucas that everyone wants to see). The ranger went with him to check it out.

I happened to see the ranger later and asked if they found the trogon. He gave a huge eye roll and said that while hiking to the spot, the tourist described the bird flitting out from its perch to gab a bug, then back to the same perch. Very un-trogonlike behavior. The ranger began to get suspicious.

The got to the spot and the tourist excitedly pointed, "There it is!"

The ranger said it was a common painted redstart.

There is no excuse for rudeness, and the person taking your call should have asked about your birding experience level. Nevertheless, I imagine they get erroneous IDs all the frigging time to the point that they are overly cynical. I feel your frustration.
gcsnelling

Post by gcsnelling »

I have run into many folks involved with various outdoor observational activities, sadly in my experience the birders were by far the rudest and inconsiderate bunch I have ever met.
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

Hey Gordon, being rude is a major part of being a birder. It's a badge of honor. Since becoming a birder I've learned the fine art of rudeness and crass comments. :lol: Although, in all fairness, I think the term "smug" more appropriately fits...
gcsnelling

Post by gcsnelling »

Smug certainly fits as well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Martin

Post by John Martin »

Haha, thought this one was dead. Steve, Gordon, thanks for your commiseration. Brian - bite me, LOL. Gordon, loved your above post regarding the SRS :lol: .
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

I think if you bird, herp, fish, etc., John, long enough, these things happen. :lol:

Even here on herps, years ago when there were many, many contributors, a bigger cross-section if you will, one could easily get flak from a less probable, unvouchered observation. It seems armchair academics can be the worst, where fiels academics can be more tolerant from their own experiences.
Oh well, I realize that's how it goes with birding - no pics, no validity. Ahh, had I only had my camera and telephoto lens.

It seems much worse with birders where a higher number are self important and pretentious. I enjoy screwing with them rather than get mad, especially fly fishermen who can be worse than birders!!!

Here on the east coast, especially in Florida, you learn to not poopoo unlikely stories right away with birds, because hurricanes and exotic animal distributers cause occasional surprises!

ps
Gordon, I think we saw something similar at the research station last year... Hysterical :lol: :lol:
gcsnelling

Post by gcsnelling »

BillMcGighan wrote:
ps
Gordon, I think we saw something similar at the research station last year... Hysterical :lol: :lol:
Bill, wouldn't surprise me, the same entomology class responsible for the sign board was being held there last year.