attn northeast birders, rare lifers alert

All things winged, in the field or your own private aviary.

Moderator: Scott Waters

mikez

attn northeast birders, rare lifers alert

Post by mikez »

Bad weather in Europe combined with several nor'easters here have been responsible for some amazing finds recently.
Lots of ocean birds plus lapwings and several goose species have been seen. More are probably going unrecorded.

So far I have only seen the pinkfooted goose but there are others species near by I hope to see this weekend.

Here's a link to someone else's pics of the pink foot. http://www.sudburyvalleytrustees.org/na ... dbury-2015

Check the Ma birder list for updates and detailed location data here http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/MASS.html

pete

Re: attn northeast birders, rare lifers alert

Post by pete »

How'd you do? been hoping to see a lapwing or one of the forktails. have been seeing lots of alcids and kittiwakes. haven't had the time to go see the pinkfoot.

mikez

Post by mikez »

Never made it out looking for the barnacle goose. somewhat discouraged by reports of police chasing people away. The bird has been on prison property and for some reason they don't like the pulled over vehicles or the scopes and cameras. Go figure... :mrgreen:

Send me a PM if you come up, I'll try and get most recent locations.

Gyri

Post by Gyri »

Thanks for the intel! I recall last winter a Lesser Black-backed Gull turned up in the Champlain basin in VT, very exciting! I wish herps would do that from time to time...

mikez

Post by mikez »

Managed to find the barnacle goose today. Still hanging near the prison but today the flock of canadas he hangs with were in a corn field across from a soccer field that had safe parking. Didn't even have to get out of the car.
BTW to those who know the area, this off route 2 just before the Concord rotary. Hundreds of thousands of Boston commuters have buzzed by this rare bird right under their noses for a month now.

Also saw the goose I assumed was the one people have been calling a greater white fronted. Never having seen one before I didn't carefully note field marks but it was nothing like any goose I'd ever seen. When I got home and check the field guide, this thing didn't look like a white front or anything else. I'm confused now. I'll have to go back now and make notes. Surprised none of the hardcore birders have mentioned it.
If it was a white front, it makes the rare goose trifecta for me.

Also, have heard the pinkfoot is still being seen in the same places as before. Anyone interested can get intel from the Ma bird list or you can pm me.

Peter_Alexander

Post by Peter_Alexander »

damn was just out that way today on my way back from the Cape, need to check FHF more often!

mikez

Post by mikez »

Peter_Alexander wrote:damn was just out that way today on my way back from the Cape, need to check FHF more often!
The goose has been staying in the same general area for at least a month. The pinkfoot is also still in the same area he was first seen.
Go to the top of this thread and click on the link for the Ma bird list. They update every day.