Interesting find, literally in my backyard

All things winged.

Moderator: Scott Waters

jake edwards

Interesting find, literally in my backyard

Post by jake edwards »

I saw this bird in my backyard. According to my field guide they are rare in Florida especially in the white phase. Short Tailed Hawk
J-Miz

Re: Interesting find, literally in my backyard

Post by J-Miz »

Wow...awesome backyard bird! I've never really explored Florida, but I think I read somewhere that Short-tailed Hawks are much more commonly seen in flight than perched...and more commonly dark-phase than light-phase. So you got the best of both worlds!
jake edwards

Post by jake edwards »

It was eating a bird, you can see it on the bottom left of the telephone pole. Pretty cool
pete

Post by pete »

Very cool!!! :thumb: :thumb:
Devon

Post by Devon »

Great picture! Short-tailed hawks are certainly not common in south Florida! A good place to see them (both morphs), however is on breezy days out of Flamingo in the Everglades National Park - if you canoe to Snake Bight (to the east), they can frequently be seen soaring on the breeze as it lifts up over the mangroves. The same location is, of course fantastic for virtually all of the herons and egrets, many waders (of all sizes and types), spoonbills, peregrines, American white pelicans (in winter) and on rare occasions, also flamingos (which according to park personnel are not escapees, as some were banded on nesting grounds in the Bahamas.
jake edwards

Post by jake edwards »

Thanks for the info... I was there just recently and happened to spot my first White Pelican and a good juvenile bald eagle near the Flamingo Campground. :beer: