Northern Mockingbird

All things winged.

Moderator: Scott Waters

J-Miz

Northern Mockingbird

Post by J-Miz »

Haven't posted as I haven't been out. Did take a walk today and lugged the camera gear with me; I tried a 2x teleconverter for the first time, and it gave pretty decent results.

Northern Mockingbirds are abundant in the south, but in northeastern Ohio I'd say they are pretty scarce and local. I usually see a few per year...but for you southerners they probably wake you up most mornings with their incessant singing. As soon as I parked my arse to wait for wildlife to come to me, a mockingbird popped out of the brush to pose. I watched the bird for quite a while; it would occasionally fly to the ground and thrash around clumsily, hopping up and spreading its wings. I have no clue what it had found but I assume there was some morsel it was investigating. It did occasionally pluck berries from a couple species of shrub.

Despite a nice day, and a nice marsh all to myself, there was very little action. The only other critters willing to cooperate were the deer:

monklet

Re: Northern Mockingbird

Post by monklet »

Nice to see a the Mimus polyglottus get its deserved respect. Nice pic! ...the deer I can do without ;-)